Trade Effects of Services Trade Liberalization in the EU
This paper gives a quantitative assessment of possible trade and welfare effects resulting from different trade liberalization scenarios within the EU. First, we econometrically estimate the existing services trade barriers in the EU (inside the EU and with respect to the third countries). Then we run simulations to estimate effects of the currently achieved liberalization of cross-border trade in services inside the EU, and of the elimination of the remaining trade barriers. The simulations are based on the GTAP model, a computable general equilibrium model. We use the GTAP database V7 (pre-release, benchmarked to 2004) and own estimates of protection in the services sector. Our findings point towards larger gains from more comprehensive cuts in trade barriers. We further observe a reinforcement of specialization patterns, with the new members intensifying their position as EuropeÕs manufacturing base and the old members specializing increasingly in services.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.i4ide.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen Fillat-Castej—n & Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2008.
"TRADE THROUGH FDI: investing in services,"
IIDE Discussion Papers
20080502, Institue for International and Development Economics.
- Julia Woerz & Olga Pindyuk, 2008. "Trade in Services: Note on the Measurement and Quality of Data Sources," FIW Research Reports series I-001, FIW.
- Francois, Joseph & Bradley McDonald, 1996. "Liberalization and Capital Accumulation in the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 310, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Francois, Joseph, 1998. "Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition in the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 317, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Sherman Robinson & Zhi Wang & Will Martin, 2002. "Capturing the Implications of Services Trade Liberalization," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 3-33.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2006.
"Measuring Services Trade Liberalization and Its Impact on Economic Growth: An Illustration,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 21, pages 64-98.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep & Subramanian, Arvind, 2001. "Measuring services trade liberalization and its impact on economic growth : an illustration," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2655, The World Bank.
- Paul Conway & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2006. "Product Market Regulation in the Non-Manufacturing Sectors of OECD Countries: Measurement and Highlights," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 530, OECD Publishing.
- Deardoff, A.V. & Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M., 1995. "Modelling Multilateral Trade Liberalization in Services," Working Papers 378, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Moshirian, Fariborz, 2001. "International investment in financial services," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 317-337, February.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Lipponer, Alexander, 2004. "FDI versus cross-border financial services: The globalisation of German banks," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Thomas W. Hertel & Padma Swaminathan, 1996. "Introducing Monopolistic Competition into the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 309, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Paul Conway & Véronique Janod & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2005. "Product Market Regulation in OECD Countries: 1998 to 2003," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 419, OECD Publishing.
- Julia Nielson & Daria Taglioni, 2004. "Services Trade Liberalisation: Identifying Opportunities and Gains," OECD Trade Policy Papers 1, OECD Publishing.
- Philippa Dee & Kevin Hanslow, 2002. "Multilateral liberalisation of services trade," International Trade 0207002, EconWPA.
- Joseph Francois & Hans Van Meijl & Frank Van Tongeren, 2005. "Trade liberalization in the Doha Development Round," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(42), pages 349-391, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lnz:wpaper:20080801. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (iide webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.