Measures of Performance in Primary Care - a Review of Efficiency Studies
With the economic downturn inflicting austerity on the British National Health Service, the issue of efficiency is of paramount importance for health care policy makers who are called upon to identify where efficiency savings can be made without hindering the quality of care. Research exploring efficiency in health is still relatively new. The measurement of efficiency is made difficult by the multifaceted nature of the output of health care, particularly so in primary care. On the other hand simple measures of activity cannot be considered sufficient, particularly given the system of incentives introduced for primary care providers such as the Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF) in UK. In this paper we review studies that have used stochastic frontier analysis to measure the efficiency of primary care providers and purchasers. We find that quality indicators are increasingly being used in explaining cost variation and relative efficiency differences. To our knowledge though, there are no UK based studies that have used data from the QOF. We argue that QOF is an invaluable source of information which should enable more accurate and insightful analysis of relative efficiency in primary care by incorporating appropriate measures of quality.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: Charles Thackrah Building, 101 Clarendon Road, LEEDS LS9 2LJ|
Fax: +44 (0) 113 343 3470
Web page: http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/auhe
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaume Puig & Vicente Ortún, 2003.
"Cost efficiency in primary care contracting: A stochastic frontier cost function approach,"
Economics Working Papers
719, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jaume Puig-Junoy & Vicente Ortún, 2004. "Cost efficiency in primary care contracting: a stochastic frontier cost function approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(12), pages 1149-1165.
- Jaume Puig & Vicente Ortún, 2003. "Cost efficiency in primary care contracting: A stochastic frontier cost function approach," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 719, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Filipe Amado, Carla Alexandra & Dyson, Robert G., 2008. "On comparing the performance of primary care providers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 915-932, March.
- Antonio Giuffrida & Hugh Gravelle, .
"Measuring Performance in Primary Care: Econometric Analysis and DEA,"
99/36, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Antonio Giuffrida & Hugh Gravelle, 2001. "Measuring performance in primary care: econometric analysis and DEA," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 163-175.
- Giuffrida, Antonio & Gravelle, Hugh & Sutton, Matthew, 2000.
"Efficiency and administrative costs in primary care,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 983-1006, November.
- Antonio Giuffrida & Hugh Gravelle & Matthew Sutton, . "Efficiency and Administrative Costs in Primary Care," Discussion Papers 99/27, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Gaynor, Martin & Pauly, Mark V, 1990. "Compensation and Productive Efficiency of Partnerships: Evidence from Medical Group Practice," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 544-73, June.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2008. "The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(10), pages 1107-1128.
- Luis Murillo-Zamorano & Carmelo Petraglia, 2011.
"Technical efficiency in primary health care: does quality matter?,"
The European Journal of Health Economics,
Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 12(2), pages 115-125, April.
- Murillo-Zamorano, Luis R. & Petraglia, C., 2008. "Technical efficiency in primary health care: does quality matter?," MPRA Paper 10725, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lisa C. DeFelice & W. David Bradford, 1997. "Relative inefficiencies in production between solo and group practice physicians," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(5), pages 455-465.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lee:wpaper:1203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Judy Wright)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.