Launching of a New Currency in a Simple Random Matching Model
This paper studies the launching of a new fiat currency within a search-theoretic framework. We show that legal tender laws may not be sufficient to guarantee the acceptability of the new currency, and that the withdrawal of a large fraction of the competing currency is essential to avoid the failure of such a launching. The possibility of converting the old currency into the new one can ease the transition to the new currency only if it is combined with strict legal tender laws. Finally, a network externality is identified that may generate inefficiencies in the conversion decision.
|Date of creation:||May 2000|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Money Credit and Banking, vol.34 (3), part 1, 2002, pp. 563-588|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP, Internef, CH-1015 Lausanne|
Phone: ++41 21 692.33.20
Web page: http://www.hec.unil.ch/deep/publications/cahiers/series
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Selgin, George A, 1994.
"On Ensuring the Acceptability of a New Fiat Money,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 808-826, November.
- Jovanovic, Boyan & Rosenthal, Robert W., 1986.
"Anonymous Sequential Games,"
86-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Joseph A. Ritter, 1994.
"The transition from barter to fiat money,"
1994-004, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ben R. Craig & Christopher J. Waller, 1999.
"Currency portfolios and nominal exchange rates in a dual currency search economy,"
9916, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Craig, B. & Waller, C.J., 1999. "Currency Portfolios and Nominal Exchange Rates in a Dual Currency Search Economy," Papers 9916, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Caskey, John P & St Laurent, Simon, 1994. "The Susan B. Anthony Dollar and the Theory of Coin/Note Substitutions," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 495-510, August.
- HernÃ¡n CortÃ©s Douglas & Richard K. Abrams, 1993. "Introduction of a New National Currency; Policy, Institutional, and Technical Issues," IMF Working Papers 93/49, .
- Joseph Farrell & Garth Saloner, 1986.
"Installed Base and Compatibility, With Implications for Product Preannouncements,"
411, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Joseph Farrell & Garth Saloner, 1985. "Installed Base and Compatibility With Implications for Product Preannouncements," Working papers 385, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- François R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, 1999.
"A Model of Commodity Money, with Applications to Gresham's Law and the Debasement Puzzle,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 291-323, January.
- Francois R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, 1997. "A model of commodity money, with applications to Gresham's Law and the debasement puzzle," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues WP-97-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Francois R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, "undated". "A Model of Commodity Money, With Application to Gresham's Law and the Debasement Puzzle," CARESS Working Papres 97-7, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Francois R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, 1997. "A model of commodity money, with applications to Gresham's law and the debasement puzzle," Staff Report 215, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Soller Curtis, Elisabeth & Waller, Christopher J., 2000.
"A search-theoretic model of legal and illegal currency,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 155-184, February.
- Soller, E.V. & Waller, C., 1997. "A Search Theoretic Model of Legal and Illegal Currency," Papers 97-003, Indiana - Center for Econometric Model Research.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & Randall Wright, 1989.
"A contribution to the pure theory of money,"
123, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- E.K. Hawkins, 1958. "The Growth Of A Money Economy In Nigeria And Ghana," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(3), pages 339-354.
- Edward J. Green & Warren E. Weber, 1996.
"Will the new $100 bill decrease counterfeiting?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 3-10.
- Wright, Randall, 1999. "Comment on Inside and Outside Money as Alternative Media of Exchange," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 461-468, August.
- Berentsen, Aleksander, 1998.
"Monetary Policy Implications of Digital Money,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 89-117.
- Aiyagari, S. Rao & Wallace, Neil, 1997.
"Government Transaction Policy, the Medium of Exchange, and Welfare,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 1-18, May.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Neil Wallace, 1995. "Government transaction policy, the medium of exchange, and welfare," Working Papers 516, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Craig, Ben, 1999. "Comment on Inside and Outside Money as Alternative Media of Exchange," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 458-460, August.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1993. "A Search-Theoretic Approach to Monetary Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 63-77, March.
- Ben R. Craig & Christopher J. Waller, 2000. "Dual-currency economies as multiple-payment systems," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q I, pages 2-13.
- Li, Yiting & Wright, Randall, 1998. "Government Transaction Policy, Media of Exchange, and Prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 290-313, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lau:crdeep:00.10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gaëlle Sarda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.