Inspecting the Poverty-Trap Mechanism - A Quantile Regression Approach
The issue of poverty traps is assessed using quantile regression. For that an augmentation of the usual convergence regressions by quadratic and cubic terms is used with emphasis on curve fitting rather than parameter estimation. The results show that the generic mechanism leading to poverty traps predominantly applies to countries with relatively low levels of income per capita or per worker that simultaneously have low growth rates around and below the lowest quintile of the growth rate distribution. The validity of the results is supported by a nonparametric variant of quantile regression.
|Date of creation:||20 Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Fax: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Web page: http://www.jenecon.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pritchett, Lant, 2000. "Understanding Patterns of Economic Growth: Searching for Hills among Plateaus, Mountains, and Plains," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 221-50, May.
- Quah, Danny, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731.
- Sala-i-martin, X., 1995.
"The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis,"
734, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1995. "The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1254, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1995. "The classical approach to convergence analysis," Economics Working Papers 117, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Oded Galor, 2004.
"From Stagnation to Growth: Unified Growth Theory,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Liu, Zhenjuan & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "Non-linearities in Cross-Country Growth Regressions: A Semiparametric Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 527-38, Sept.-Oct.
- James G. MacKinnon & Halbert White, 1983.
"Some Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators with Improved Finite Sample Properties,"
537, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert, 1985. "Some heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimators with improved finite sample properties," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 305-325, September.
- Fiaschi, Davide & Lavezzi, Andrea Mario, 2003. " Distribution Dynamics and Nonlinear Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 379-401, December.
- David N. Weil & Oded Galor, 2000. "Population, Technology, and Growth: From Malthusian Stagnation to the Demographic Transition and Beyond," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 806-828, September.
- Fiaschi, Davide & Lavezzi, Andrea Mario, 2007.
"Nonlinear economic growth: Some theory and cross-country evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 271-290, September.
- Davide Fiaschi & Andrea Mario Lavezzi, 2003. "Nonlinear Economic Growth: Some Theory and Cross-Country Evidence," Discussion Papers 2003/14, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Kalaitzidakis, P. & Mamuneas, T.P. & Savvides, A. & Stengos, T., 2000.
"Measures of Human Capital and Nonlinearities in Economic Growth,"
2000-5, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis, et al, 2001. " Measures of Human Capital and Nonlinearities in Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 229-54, September.
- Semmler, Willi & Ofori, Marvin, 2007. "On poverty traps, thresholds and take-offs," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-26, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jrp:jrpwrp:2007-106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Pasche)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.