Agricultural Land Elasticities in the United States and Brazil
The elasticity of aggregate supply of cropland is one key to understanding the degree to which policy-induced increases in demand for biofuel feedstocks or agricultural CO 2 offsets will result in higher prices or expanded crop production. We report land supply elasticities for the United States and Brazil estimated directly from recent changes in planted crop acreage and estimated changes in expected returns. The resulting aggregate implied land-use elasticities with respect to price are quite inelastic in the United States and Brazil elasticities have declined sharply in recent years. The estimated elasticities imply that current estimates of land-based CO 2 emissions from biofuels expansion may be overstated Copyright 2011, Oxford University Press.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||03 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Fall 2011, vol. 33 no. 3, pp. 449-462|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Torre Ugarte, Daniel de la & Sanford, Scott & Skinner, Robert A. & Westcott, Paul C. & Lin, William W., 2000.
"Supply Response Under The 1996 Farm Act And Implications For The U.S. Field Crops Sector,"
33568, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Lin, William W. & Westcott, Paul C. & Skinner, Robert & Sanford, Scott & De La Torre Ugarte, Daniel G., 2000. "Supply Response Under the 1996 Farm Act and Implications for the U.S. Field Crops Sector," Technical Bulletins 184369, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Kevin C. Dhuyvetter, 2004. "Using Formula Prices in the Absence of Publicly Reported Prices: An Application for Segregated Early Weaned Pigs," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 539-551.
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2010.
"Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(3), pages 789-802.
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp472, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Feng, Hongli & Babcock, Bruce A., 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Staff General Research Papers 12959, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Davison, Cecil W. & Crowder, Bradley M., 1991. "Northeast Soybean Acreage Response Using Expected Net Returns," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 20(1), April.
- Tristan Brown & Amani Elobeid & Jerome Dumortier & Dermot J. Hayes, 2010.
"Market Impact of Domestic Offset Programs,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
10-wp502, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Tristan Brown & Amani Elobeid & Jerome Dumortier & Dermot J. Hayes, 2010. "Market Impact of Domestic Offset Programs," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 10-wp502, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Houck, James P. & Ryan, Mary E., 1972. "Supply Analysis For Corn In The United States: The Impact Of Changing Government Programs," Staff Papers 13554, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Chad E. Hart & Bruce A. Babcock, 2005. "Loan Deficiency Payments versus Countercyclical Payments: Do We Need Both for a Price Safety Net?," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 05-bp44, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Ahmed, Syud Amer & Thomas Hertel & Ruben Lubowski, 2009. "Calibration of a Land Cover Supply Function Using Transition Probabilities," GTAP Research Memoranda 2947, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Tweeten, Luther G & Quance, C Leroy, 1969. "Positivistic Measures of Aggregate Supply Elasticities: Some New Approaches," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 175-83, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:35043. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.