Publicité limitée de l'information et sur-réaction aux annonces lors des épisodes spéculatifs
The model of Morris and Shin  shows that imprecise public announcements can coordinate the actions of speculators far from the fundamental because of over-reaction to announcements. The strong focal potential of common knowledge is welfare damaging when it induces over-reaction to an imprecise public signal. However, laboratory experiments show that agents over-react to announcements, but not as much as what is theoretically predicted in models based on public information that generates common knowledge. This paper introduces the notion of limited degree of publicity, which seems to render better account for the actual degree of agents' over-reaction.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Revue Economique, Presses de Sciences Po, 2006, 57 (3), pp.399-405|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00137477|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kübler, Dorothea & Weizsäcker, Georg, 2000.
"Limited depth of reasoning and failure of cascade formation in the laboratory,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2001,3, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Dorothea Kübler & Georg Weizsäcker, 2004. "Limited Depth of Reasoning and Failure of Cascade Formation in the Laboratory," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(2), pages 425-441.
- Camille Cornand & Frank Heinemann, 2008.
"Optimal Degree of Public Information Dissemination,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(528), pages 718-742, 04.
- Cornand, Camille & Heinemann, Frank, 2006. "Optimal Degree of Public Information Dissemination," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 158, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Camille Cornand & Frank Heinemann, 2004. "Optimal Degree of Public Information Dissemination," CESifo Working Paper Series 1353, CESifo Group Munich.
- Camille Cornand & Frank Heinemann, 2008. "Optimal Degree of Public Information Dissemination," Post-Print halshs-00300211, HAL.
- Nagel, Rosemarie, 1995. "Unraveling in Guessing Games: An Experimental Study," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1313-26, December.
- Frank Heinemann & Rosemarie Nagel & Peter Ockenfels, 2004. "The Theory of Global Games on Test: Experimental Analysis of Coordination Games with Public and Private Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1583-1599, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00137477. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.