Where Did Identification Go?
We recently introduced a general method for measuring poverty when there are multiple dimensions [1,2] and provided a specific cross-country implementation (the MPI) as part of the 2010 Human Development Report [4,11] to complement existing methods. Our recent piece in the Journal of Economic Inequality (JEI) (also OPHI Working Paper 43) sought to clarify the presentation and address possible misunderstandings . The present note – a longer version of the one published in JEI – responds to Martin Ravallion's paper in the same issue, and also benefited from contributions by other authors in that Forum. We value this exchange and vigorous debate and hope it will ultimately lead to better measures and policies.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.gwu.edu/~iiep/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Foster & Sabina Alkire, 2011.
"Understandings and Misunderstandings of Multidimensional Poverty Measurement,"
2011-18, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Sabina Alkire & James Foster, 2011. "Understandings and misunderstandings of multidimensional poverty measurement," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 289-314, June.
- Sabina Alkire and James Foster, 2011. "Understandings and Misunderstandings of Multidimensional Poverty Measurement," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp043, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2011.
"On multidimensional indices of poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5580, The World Bank.
- Sabina Alkire & Maria Emma Santos, 2010.
"Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries,"
Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present)
HDRP-2010-11, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Sabina Alkire and Maria Emma Santos, 2010. "Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp038, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Alkire, Sabina & Santos, María Emma, 2011. "Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 3, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 476-487, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gwi:wpaper:2011-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kyle Renner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.