Russian Economic Reforms as Perceived by Western Critics
It has recently become customary to argue that Russian economic transformation since 1991 has failed because of bad policy advice and mistaken policy choices. Though Russia’s performance leaves much to be desired, such criticisms are based on a failure to analyse the real choices available to reformers in the post-perestroika period. The paper, criticising in particular the views presented by Jospeh Stiglitz, shows that the Chinese reform path was not available to Russia, that mass privatisation was influenced more by political necessity than theoretical choice, and also discusses the relation between doctrine and necessity in policy making more generally. The final section of the paper characterises Russia as a case of weak state, and identifies several of the consequences arising.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (495) 629-6413
Fax: (495) 203-8816
Web page: http://www.iep.ru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Gaidar, 1997. ""Infant Illnesses" of Post-Socialism (On the Nature of Budget Crises during the Period of Financial Stabilization)," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 4.
- J. Stiglitz, 1999. "Whither Reform? Ten Years of the Transition," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 7.
- V. Mau & I. Starodubrovskaya, 1998. "Economic Regularities of the Revolutionary Process," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 4.
- A. Illarionov, 1998. "The Secret of the Economic Miracle in China," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 4.
- D. Ellerman, 1999. "Voucher Privatization as the Cold War by Other Means," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 8.
- J. Stiglitz, 1998. "More Instruments and Broader Goals: Moving toward the PostWashington Consensus," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 8.
- Alexander Radygin, 2013. "PRIVATISATION IN RUSSIA: Hard Choice, First Results, New Targets," Published Papers 174, Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy, revised 2013.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gai:ppaper:112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Hugues)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.