Growth, Environment and Uncertain Future Preferences
The attitude of future generations towards environmental assets could be different from ours, and it is necessary to take into account explicitly this possibility in the current debate about environmental policy. The question we address here is : should uncertainty about future preferences lead to a more conservative attitude towards environment ? We show that in general it is not the case when preferences are non-separable between consumption and environmental quality. Only separable preferences, or an uncertainty about the time at which preferences could change associated with specific characteristics of the economy, could justify a more conservative attitude from now.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: France; Universite de Paris I - Pantheon- Sorbonne, 12 Place de Pantheon-75005 Paris, France|
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://cermsem.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chichilnisky, Graciela & Beltratti, Andrea & Heal, Geoffrey, 1998. "Uncertain future preferences and conservation," MPRA Paper 7912, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Smulders, J.A. & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 1996.
"Pollution abatement and long-term growth,"
Other publications TiSEM
1ed65010-f4ac-4a1f-84b6-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Philippe Michel & Gilles Rotillon, 1995. "Disutility of pollution and endogenous growth," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(3), pages 279-300, October.
- Geoffrey Heal & Bengt Kriström, 2002. "Uncertainty and Climate Change," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 3-39, June.
- Alain Ayong Le Kama, 2012.
"Preservation and Endogenous Uncertain Future Preferences,"
1204, Chaire Economie du Climat.
- Alain Ayong Le Kama, 2001. "Preservation and exogenous uncertain future preferences," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 18(3), pages 745-752.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:pariem:1999.52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.