Strategy and Tactics of Monetary Policy: Examples from Europe and the Antipodes
What we shall concentrate on in this paper is the way in which the strategy and tactics of monetary policy are currently being articulated in this current context. We document in Section 2, the common adoption of price stability as the overriding priority. This does not, however, prevent the adoption of subsidiary objectives. While price stability has now been generally accepted as the dominant objective for Central Banks monetary policy, the term `price stability has most often not been defined, either legislatively or in practice. We shall discuss some possible alternative definitions, and the pros and cons of adopting them in this Section, eg the choice of index and whether the objective should be expressed in terms of a price level, or rate of inflation (eg zero).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alex Cukierman, 1992.
"Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, and Independence: Theory and Evidence,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031981.
- Cukierman Alex, 1992. "Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, And Independance: Theory And Evidence," Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines, De Gruyter, vol. 3(4), pages 1-10, December.
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216.
- Glasner,David, 1989. "Free Banking and Monetary Reform," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521361750, October.
- Carl E. Walsh, 1994.
"Is New Zealand's Reserve Bank Act of 1989 an optimal central bank contract?,"
Pacific Basin Working Paper Series
94-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Walsh, Carl E, 1995. "Is New Zealand's Reserve Bank Act of 1989 an Optimal Central Bank Contract?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 1179-91, November.
- William Poole, 1969.
"Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model,"
Special Studies Papers
2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Staff Studies 57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Leland B. Yeager & Robert L. Greenfield, 1989. "Can Monetary Disequilibrium Be Eliminated?," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 9(2), pages 405-428, Fall.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1993. "The Unstable EMS," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 51-144.
- Ben Bernanke & Frederic Mishkin, 1992.
"Central Bank Behavior and the Strategy of Monetary Policy: Observations From Six Industrialized Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
4082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben Bernanke & Frederic Mishkin, 1992. "Central Bank Behavior and the Strategy of Monetary Policy: Observations from Six Industrialized Countries," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1992, Volume 7, pages 183-238 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schnadt, Norbert & Whittaker, John, 1993. "Inflation-Proof Currency? The Feasibility of Variable Commodity Standards," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 214-21, May.
- Carl E. Walsh, 1994. "Central bank independence and the costs of disinflation in the EC," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 94-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jacklin, Charles J & Bhattacharya, Sudipto, 1988. "Distinguishing Panics and Information-Based Bank Runs: Welfare and Policy Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(3), pages 568-592, June.
- George A. Selgin, 1990. "Monetary Equilibrium and the Productivity Norm of Price-Level Policy," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(1), pages 265-287, Spring/Su.
- Hiroshi Shibuya, 1992. "Dynamic Equilibrium Price Index: Asset Price and Inflation," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 10(1), pages 95-109, February.
- Alesina, Alberto & Summers, Lawrence H, 1993. "Central Bank Independence and Macroeconomic Performance: Some Comparative Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 151-62, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fmg:fmgsps:sp61. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.