Cross-Market Timing in Security Issuance
The conventional view of market timing suggests an unambiguous, negative relation between equity misvaluation and the equity share in new issues|that is, rms with overvalued equity issue more equity and, all else equal, less debt. We question this conventional view in the paper. Using price pressure resulting from mutual funds' ow-induced trading to identify equity misvaluation, we rst show that equity and debt prices are a ected by the same shocks, but to di erent degrees. Next, we document substantial cross-sectional variation in the sensitivity of issuance decisions to equity misvaluation. In particular, rms with sucient internal resources increase equity issues and yet decrease debt issues in our measure of equity misvaluation; in contrast, rms that are heavily dependent on external nance increase both equity and debt issues, to take advantage of the misvaluation in both. In sum, this paper provides evidence that equity and debt can be jointly (mis)priced, and more important, examines the resulting impact on rms' issuance decisions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frazzini, Andrea & Lamont, Owen A., 2008.
"Dumb money: Mutual fund flows and the cross-section of stock returns,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 299-322, May.
- Andrea Frazzini & Owen A. Lamont, 2005. "Dumb Money: Mutual Fund Flows and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 11526, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Chaney & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2010.
"The Collateral Channel: How Real Estate Shocks Affect Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
16060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Chaney & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2012. "The Collateral Channel: How Real Estate Shocks Affect Corporate Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(6), pages 2381-2409, October.
- Thomas Chaney & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2012. "The Collateral Channel: How Real Estate Shocks Affect Corporate Investment," Post-Print hal-01009900, HAL.
- Hau, Harald & Lai, Sandy, 2012.
"Real Effects of Stock Underpricing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ayla Kayhan & Sheridan Titman, 2004.
"Firms' Histories and Their Capital Structures,"
NBER Working Papers
10526, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Butler, Alexander W. & Cornaggia, Jess & Grullon, Gustavo & Weston, James P., 2011. "Corporate financing decisions, managerial market timing, and real investment," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 666-683, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fmg:fmgdps:dp718. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.