Is there a broad credit channel for monetary policy?
Using data for the U.S. manufacturing sector, we test for the existence of a broad credit channel for monetary policy, which operates through the total supply of loans. Our test focuses on the relationship between internal funds and business investment. After a monetary tightening, we find that this relationship becomes much closer for small firms but not for large firms. In contrast, after a monetary easing, the relationship is little changed for all firms. This evidence supports the existence of a broad credit channel.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calomiris, Charles W & Hubbard, R Glenn, 1990.
"Firm Heterogeneity, Internal Finance, and 'Credit Rationing.',"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 90-104, March.
- Charles W. Calomiris & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1988. "Firm Heterogeneity, Internal Finance, and `Credit Rationing'," NBER Working Papers 2497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1993.
"The role of credit market imperfections in the monetary transmission mechanism: arguments and evidence,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
93-5, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1993. " The Role of Credit Market Imperfections in the Monetary Transmission Mechanism: Arguments and Evidence," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(1), pages 43-64.
- Abel, Andrew B & Blanchard, Olivier J, 1986.
"The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 249-73, March.
- Andrew B. Abel & Olivier J. Blanchard, 1983. "The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment," NBER Working Papers 1122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark L. Gertler, 1988.
"Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview,"
NBER Working Papers
2559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Gertler, 1988. "Financial structure and aggregate economic activity: an overview," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 559-596.
- Gertler, Mark, 1988. "Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(3), pages 559-88, August.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1992.
"The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 901-21, September.
- Ben Bernanke, 1990. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transnission," NBER Working Papers 3487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1989. "The federal funds rate and the channels of monetary transmission," Working Papers 89-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Kashyap, Anil K & Lamont, Owen A & Stein, Jeremy C, 1994.
"Credit Conditions and the Cyclical Behavior of Inventories,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 565-92, August.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Owen A. Lamont & Jeremy C. Stein, 1993. "Credit conditions and the cyclical behavior of inventories," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 93-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Boschen, John F & Mills, Leonard O, 1995. "The Relation between Narrative and Money Market Indicators of Monetary Policy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 33(1), pages 24-44, January.
- Goodfriend, Marvin, 1991.
"Interest rates and the conduct of monetary policy,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 7-30, January.
- Romer, Christina D. & Romer, David H., 1994. "Monetary policy matters," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 75-88, August.
- Brayton, Flint & Mauskopf, Eileen, 1985. "The federal reserve board MPS quarterly econometric model of the US economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 170-292, July.
- Alan S. Blinder & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1983.
"Money, Credit Constraints, and Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
1084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Luigi Zingales, 1995. "Do Financing Constraints Explain Why Investment is Correlated with Cash Flow?," NBER Working Papers 5267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Farmer, Roger E A, 1984. "A New Theory of Aggregate Supply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 920-30, December.
- Simon G. Gilchrist & Egon Zakrajsek, 1995. "The importance of credit for macroeconomic activity: identification through heterogeneity," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 39, pages 129-173.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgwe:146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.