Using Irregularly Spaced Returns to Estimate Multi-Factor Models: Application to Brazilian Equity Data
Multi-factor models are useful tools to explain cross-sectional covariance in equities returns. In this paper a new estimation method is proposed that makes use of irregularly spaced returns and an empirical example is provided with the 389 most liquid equities in the Brazilian Market. The market index shows itself capable of explaining equity returns while the US$/Brazilian real exchange rate and the Brazilian short interest rate do not. The example shows the usefulness of the estimation method in further using the model to fill in missing values and to provide interval forecasts.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||30 Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://epge.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- Lo, Andrew W. & Craig MacKinlay, A., 1990.
"An econometric analysis of nonsynchronous trading,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 181-211.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1991. "An Econometric Analysis of Nonsynchronous Trading," NBER Working Papers 2960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo & Craig A. MacKinlay, . "An Econometric Analysis of Nonsyschronous-Trading," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 19-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Christoffersen, Peter F, 1998. "Evaluating Interval Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 841-62, November.
- Elroy Dimson and Paul Marsh., 1981.
"The Stability of UK Risk Measures and the Problem of Thin Trading,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
120, University of California at Berkeley.
- Dimson, E & Marsh, P R, 1983. " The Stability of UK Risk Measures and the Problem of Thin Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 753-83, June.
- Dimson, Elroy, 1979. "Risk measurement when shares are subject to infrequent trading," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 197-226, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fgv:epgewp:487. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.