Two Kinds of Activism: Reflections on Citizenship in Globalizing Delhi
The paper examines two of the most pressing concerns in Delhi: housing and the environment. The paper reviews the activities of Resident Welfare Associations, Sajha Manch, and Delhi Janwadi Adhikar Manch, in order analyze the effects of activism of two different kinds since 1990. It also explores the possibilities and limits of grassroots alternatives in times of globalization. The paper primarily draws on newspapers clippings, news magazines, Sajha Manch Samachar (bulletins of Sajha Manch) and various pamphlets published by Sajha Manch, Delhi Janwadi Adhikar Manch and other bodies in the wake of various events. Drawing on Tarloâ€™s methodological precept of using government documents to demonstrate state practices, the author argues that the bulletins and clippings can provide an ethnographic window into the larger picture of lived politics and the negotiations of citizenship in Delhi.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Özgür Kýbrýs & Serkan Küçükþenel, 2005.
"Trade rules for uncleared markets,"
- anonymous, 2005. "Summary of economic conditions," Main Street Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 4.
- ., 2005. "T.H. Marshall: Citizenship and Social Rights," Chapters, in: Democracy and Exchange, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2005. "Summary for 2004," Working Papers 31, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- anonymous, 2005. "Domestic open market operations during 2005," Annual Report Domestic Open Market Operations, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- ., 2005. "T.H. Marshall: Welfare on the Middle Ground," Chapters, in: Democracy and Exchange, chapter 10 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- ., 2005. "The Public Utility Marketing Challenge," Chapters, in: Public Utilities, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Grigory Androuschak, 2005. "Quasimarkets in the public sector economy," Educational Studies, Higher School of Economics, issue 4, pages 346-364.
- ., 2005. "Conclusion: Adam Smith on Market and State," Chapters, in: Democracy and Exchange, chapter 12 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Stephen Shore & Alexander Muermann, 2005. "Spot Market Power and Future Market Trading," FMG Discussion Papers dp531, Financial Markets Group.
- ., 2005. "T.H. Marshall: Citizenship and Social Thought," Chapters, in: Democracy and Exchange, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Anonymous, 2005. "Executive Summaries," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 8(01).
- ., 2005. "T.H. Marshall: Citizenship and Social Distance," Chapters, in: Democracy and Exchange, chapter 9 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.