Mandatory audit firm rotation in Spain: a policy that was never applied
In recent international debates on auditing regulation, Spain has assumed a real prominence as a claimed practical example of where a policy of mandatory audit firm rotation did not work and was duly abolished. This study provides an analysis of the implementation and removal of such policy in Spain. Using the evidence provided by congressional hearings, financial newspapers and other documents we demonstrate that at no stage was mandatory rotation of audit firms ever enforced on Spanish auditors.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: María de Molina, 11. 28006 Madrid|
Phone: +34 91 568 96 00
Web page: http://www.ie.edu/esp/claustro/claustro_areas_detalle.asp?id=5
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher K.M. Pong, 1999. "Auditor Concentration: A Replication and Extension for the UK Audit Market 1991-1995," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3-4), pages 451-475.
- Zeff, Stephen A., 2003. "Du Pont's early policy on the rotation of audit firms," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-18.
- Lennox, Clive, 2000. "Do companies successfully engage in opinion-shopping? Evidence from the UK," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 321-337, June.
- Arrunada, Benito & Paz-Ares, Candido, 1997. "Mandatory rotation of company auditors: A critical examination," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 31-61, March.
- Deis, Donald Jr. & Giroux, Gary, 1996. "The effect of auditor changes on audit fees, audit hours, and audit quality," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 55-76.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emp:wpaper:wp06-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amada Marcos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.