The organizational predictors of executive career advancement in career moves across employers
This paper examines the career moves of executives between two different organizations and looks at the characteristics of executivesÂ´ employing organizations as a predictor of the success of the moves. The paper uses a proprietary data set of a retained executive search firm that contains information on the career paths of executives in the financial services industry. The results show that the perceived operational excellence of executivesÂ´ employing organization has a significant signaling power for other employers and strongly impacts the success of executivesÂ´ moves across different organizations.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 91 568 96 00
Web page: http://www.ie.edu/esp/claustro/claustro_areas_detalle.asp?id=5
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allgood, Sam & Farrell, Kathleen A, 2000. "The Effect of CEO Tenure on the Relation between Firm Performance and Turnover," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 23(3), pages 373-90, Fall.
- Warner, Jerold B. & Watts, Ross L. & Wruck, Karen H., 1988. "Stock prices and top management changes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 461-492, January.
- Kevin J. Murphy & Jan Zabojnik, 2006. "Managerial Capital and the Market for CEOs," Working Papers 1110, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Weisbach, Michael S., 1988. "Outside directors and CEO turnover," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 431-460, January.
- Barro, Jason R & Barro, Robert J, 1990.
"Pay, Performance, and Turnover of Bank CEOs,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(4), pages 448-81, October.
- Jason R. Barro & Robert J. Barro, 1990. "Pay, Performance, and Turnover of Bank CEOs," NBER Working Papers 3262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Jason R. & Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Pay, Performance, and Turnover of Bank CEOs," Scholarly Articles 3451300, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Debackere, Koenraad & Rappa, Michael A., 1995. "Scientists at major and minor universities: mobility along the prestige continuum," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 137-150, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emp:wpaper:wp04-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amada Marcos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.