Turbulence and Productivity; an analysis of 40 Dutch regions in the period 1988-1996
From an empirical perspective there is growing evidence on the relation between size class distributions and economic performance. However, the question whether this change of the size class structure of industries has influenced economic performance is still underresearched. The purpose of this study is to assess the effect of entry and exit of firms on productivity in a regional approach. A model for total factor productivity is estimated using data of 40 Dutch regions for the years 1988 through 1996. The regions can be des-aggregated into two separate sectors: manufacturing and services. The findings indicate some positive effects of turbulence on total factor productivity of regions and thereby on productivity and growth at macro-level. In the service sector it was found that turbulence has an upward impact on the TFP growth in a region.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+31) 79 341 36 34
Fax: (+31) 79 341 50 24
Web page: http://www.entrepreneurship-sme.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David B. Audretsch & A. Roy Thurik, 2000. "Capitalism and democracy in the 21st Century: from the managed to the entrepreneurial economy," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 17-34.
- Wennekers, Sander & Thurik, Roy, 1999. " Linking Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-55, August.
- Stephen Nickell, 1993.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0182, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Schmitz, James A, Jr, 1989. "Imitation, Entrepreneurship, and Long-run Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 721-39, June.
- Holmes, Thomas J & Schmitz, James A, Jr, 1990.
"A Theory of Entrepreneurship and Its Application to the Study of Business Transfers,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 265-94, April.
- M. Carree & A. Thurik, 1998. "Small firms and economic growth in europe," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(2), pages 137-146, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eim:papers:n200205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster EIM)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.