Trade Creation and Diversion in the Enlarged EU Market: Evidence for Agricultural Trade in Slovakia
In the paper we analyze the changes in agricultural trade patterns in Slovakia influenced by the gradual trade liberalization that occurred prior to European Union enlargement in 2004. The results show a significant trade-diversion effect of the enlargement on Slovak agricultural trade. A one-percentage-point reduction in the agricultural tariff rate of Slovakia increases agricultural imports from EU15 and Central and East European countries (CEEC) by around 3 percent. Given that the average reduction in tariff rates was 10.4 percent, approximately 31.4 percent of the increase in agricultural imports from the EU15 and CEEC was the effect of EU accession.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Louise, 1050 Brussels|
Phone: +32 2271 9482
Fax: +32 2271 9480
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soloaga, Isidro & Alan Wintersb, L., 2001.
"Regionalism in the nineties: what effect on trade?,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Winters, L. Alan, 1999. "Regionalism in the Nineties: What Effect on Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2183, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chevassus-Lozza, Emmanuelle & Majkovic, Darja & Persillet, Vanessa & Unguru, Manuela, 2005. "Technical Barriers to Trade in the European Union : Importance for the New EU Members. An Assessment for Agricultural and Food Products," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24621, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Central and Eastern Europe," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48385, World Bank.
- Peter H. Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2013.
"The Pure Effects of European Integration on Intra-EU Core and Periphery Trade,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(6), pages 701-712, June.
- Egger Peter & Pfaffermayr Michael, "undated". "The Pure Effects of European Integration on Intra-EU Core and Periphery Trade," EcoMod2002 330800024, EcoMod.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffernmayr, 2002. "The Pure Effects of European Integration on Intra-EU Core and Periphery Trade," International Trade 0204001, EconWPA.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1999. "Trade Creation and Trade Diversion Under NAFTA," NBER Working Papers 7429, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2007_03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.