Trade Creation and Diversion in the Enlarged EU Market: Evidence for Agricultural Trade in Slovakia
In the paper we analyze the changes in agricultural trade patterns in Slovakia influenced by the gradual trade liberalization that occurred prior to European Union enlargement in 2004. The results show a significant trade-diversion effect of the enlargement on Slovak agricultural trade. A one-percentage-point reduction in the agricultural tariff rate of Slovakia increases agricultural imports from EU15 and Central and East European countries (CEEC) by around 3 percent. Given that the average reduction in tariff rates was 10.4 percent, approximately 31.4 percent of the increase in agricultural imports from the EU15 and CEEC was the effect of EU accession.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue de Beaulieu, 1160 Brussels|
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chevassus-Lozza, Emmanuelle & Majkovic, Darja & Persillet, Vanessa & Unguru, Manuela, 2005. "Technical Barriers to Trade in the European Union : Importance for the New EU Members. An Assessment for Agricultural and Food Products," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24621, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1999. "Trade Creation and Trade Diversion Under NAFTA," NBER Working Papers 7429, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Egger Peter & Pfaffermayr Michael, "undated".
"The Pure Effects of European Integration on Intra-EU Core and Periphery Trade,"
- Peter H. Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2013. "The Pure Effects of European Integration on Intra-EU Core and Periphery Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(6), pages 701-712, 06.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffernmayr, 2002. "The Pure Effects of European Integration on Intra-EU Core and Periphery Trade," International Trade 0204001, EconWPA.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Alan Wintersb, L., 2001.
"Regionalism in the nineties: what effect on trade?,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Winters, L. Alan, 1999. "Regionalism in the Nineties: What Effect on Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2183, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Central and Eastern Europe," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48385, World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2007_03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.