Region-specific constraints to doing business: evidence from Russia
This paper looks at variation across Russian regions in terms of perceived constraints to doing business using the Business Environment and Enterprise Performance Survey of Russian firms. The analysis identifies a number of region-specific business environment components that businesses perceive as significantly more binding constraints to their operations compared with other regions. For several business environment components, however, including corruption and access to finance, inter-regional differences in their perception as constraints are insignificant. This supports the view that large observed differences in actual financial deepening across Russian regions are primarily demand-driven.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ebrd.com/pages/research/publications/workingpapers.shtml
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rudiger Ahrend, 2008.
"Understanding Russian Regions' Economic Performance during Periods of Decline and Growth: An Extreme-bound Analysis Approach,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
644, OECD Publishing.
- Ahrend, Rüdiger, 2012. "Understanding Russian regions’ economic performance during periods of decline and growth—An extreme bound analysis approach," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 426-443.
- Ichiro Iwasaki & Keiko Suganuma, 2005. "Regional Distribution of Foreign Direct Investment in Russia," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 153-172.
- Alexander Plekhanov & Lev Freinkman, 2009. "Fiscal decentralisation and the quality of public services in Russian regions," Working Papers 111, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Hauner, David, 2008. "Explaining Differences in Public Sector Efficiency: Evidence from Russia's Regions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1745-1765, October.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Andrey Timofeev & Jameson Boex, 2006. "Reforming Regional-Local Finance in Russia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6925.
- Levine, Ross, 2005.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 865-934
- Pablo Druck & Alexander Plekhanov & Mario Dehesa, 2007. "Relative Price Stability, Creditor Rights, and Financial Deepening," IMF Working Papers 07/139, International Monetary Fund.
- Carlin, Wendy & Schaffer, Mark E & Seabright, Paul, 2010. "A Framework for Cross-Country Comparisons of Public Infrastructure Constraints on Firm Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 7662, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebd:wpaper:125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Lucas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.