Mobility, poverty and well-being among the informally employed in Bosnia and Herzegovina
We analyse informal-sector employment in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BH), using panel data from the Living Standards Measurement Studies. We derive four main conclusions. First, there is significant labour market mobility in BH, with education being an important factor in explaining movements from informal- to formal-sector jobs. Secondly, those in informal jobs are much more likely to suffer from poverty than formally employed people. Thirdly, earnings inequality is more pronounced in the informal sector than elsewhere. Fourthly, the informally employed report lower levels of life satisfaction compared with those in almost all other groups in the labour market. Overall, we conclude that, while the informal sector may represent a vital coping strategy for many, the formal sector provides much better prospects for prosperity and well-being.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in G. Krstic and P. Sanfey (2007), Economic Systems, 31(3), pp. 311-335.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ebrd.com/pages/research/publications/workingpapers.shtml
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rutkowski, Jan, 2003. "Rapid labor reallocation with a stagnant unemployment pool : the puzzle of the labor market in Lithuania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2946, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2002. "Labor Market in Postwar Bosnia and Herzegovina : How to Encourage Businesses to Create Jobs and Increase Worker Mobility," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15333, The World Bank.
- Rosser, J. Jr. & Rosser, Marina V. & Ahmed, Ehsan, 2000. "Income Inequality and the Informal Economy in Transition Economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 156-171, March.
- Peter Sanfey & Utku Teksoz, 2007.
"Does transition make you happy?,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 15, pages 707-731, October.
- World Bank, 2005. "Bosnia and Herzegovina : Country Economic Memorandum," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8676, The World Bank.
- Rutkowski, Jan, 2003. "Why is unemployment so high in Bulgaria?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3017, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebd:wpaper:101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Lucas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.