The Regional Question in Brazil: Nature, Causes and Policies
This paper presents an overview of the nature of the Brazilian Regional inequalities, focusing on some basic statistics and recent estimations that indicate that it arises mainly from differences on individual endowments (human capital) in the many regions, rather than on differences on the income captured by individual valuable attributes. It also reviews the major hypotheses to explain the inequalities and presents an alternative view, which argues that there is an equilibrium with inequalities that persists along time. Historical features of the colonial settlements in each region justified the original differences in their human capital. The paper then reviews the major regional policies applied in Brazil, hitherto, and evaluates them on the light of the hypothesis forwarded. The conclusion is that, as they did not tackle the major cause of inequalities, they end up generating limited results.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:||2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Anais do VIII Encontro Nacional da Associação Brasileira de Estudos Regionais e Urbanos.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Luis Guimaraes, no 207, Poco de Panela, Recife/PE|
Phone: +55 (081) 3267 1500
Fax: +55 (081) 3267 1512
Web page: http://22.214.171.124/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joanna Alexopoulos & Tiago V. de V. Cavalcanti, 2006.
"Cheap Home Goods And Persistent Inequality,"
Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
165, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Alexandre Rands Barros, 2011. "Desigualdades Regionais no Brasil: Natureza, causas, origens e soluções," Working Papers 63, Datamétrica Consultoria Econômica, revised 2011.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joshua D. Gottlieb, 2009.
"The Wealth of Cities: Agglomeration Economies and Spatial Equilibrium in the United States,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 47(4), pages 983-1028, December.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joshua D. Gottlieb, 2009. "The Wealth of Cities: Agglomeration Economies and Spatial Equilibrium in the United States," NBER Working Papers 14806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani & Subramanian, Arvind & Trebbi, Francesco, 2002.
"Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions Over Geography and Integration in Economic Development,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian & Francesco Trebbi, 2004. "Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions Over Geography and Integration in Economic Development," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 131-165, 06.
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian & Francesco Trebbi, 2002. "Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions over Geography and Integration in Economic Development," NBER Working Papers 9305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001.
"The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1369-1401, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2000. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 7771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1988.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
51644, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 1989.
- Alexandre Rands & Cristiane Mesquita Soares, 2009. "The Role Of Social Capital On Individual Labor Incomes In Brazil," Working Papers 33, Datamétrica Consultoria Econômica, revised 2009.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dtm:wpaper:50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirelle Queiroz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.