A Comparative Study of Banking in China and India, Nonperforming Loans and the Level Playing Field
This paper compares the operative performances of the banking institutions in China and India, taking into account the contentious issue of institutional differences in banking sectors in these two economies, reflected in the generation of non-performing loans. The study also examines the issue of the use of banks to provide countervailable subsidies to exporting organizations. Our results show that the efficiency differences between banks in these two countries can be directly related to their institutional differences.
|Date of creation:||24 Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 61 3 9244 3815
Web page: http://www.deakin.edu.au/buslaw/aef/index.php
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Sarkar, Subrata, 2003. " Deregulation, Ownership, and Productivity Growth in the Banking Industry: Evidence from India," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 403-24, June.
- Guonan Ma, 2006. "Sharing China's Bank Restructuring Bill," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 14(3), pages 19-37.
- Matthieu Bussière & Arnaud Mehl, 2008. "China's and India's roles in global trade and finance - twin titans for the new millennium?," Occasional Paper Series 80, European Central Bank.
- Bhide, M G & Prasad, A & Ghosh, Saibal, 2001. "Emerging Challenges in Indian Banking," MPRA Paper 1711, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Zhou, Mingming, 2009. "Bank ownership and efficiency in China: What will happen in the world's largest nation?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 113-130, January.
- Chakraborty, Suparna & Allen, Linda, 2007. "Revisiting the Level Playing Field: International Lending Responses to Divergences in Japanese Bank Capital Regulations from the Basel Accord," MPRA Paper 1805, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sumon Bhaumik & Jenifer Piesse, 2003. "Are Foreign Banks Bad for Development Even If They Are Efficient? Evidence from the Indian Banking Industry," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-619, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Guonan Ma & Ben S.C. Fung, 2002. "China's asset management corporations," BIS Working Papers 115, Bank for International Settlements.
- Fu, Xiaoqing (Maggie) & Heffernan, Shelagh, 2007. "Cost X-efficiency in China's banking sector," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 35-53.
- Chen, Xiaogang & Skully, Michael & Brown, Kym, 2005. "Banking efficiency in China: Application of DEA to pre- and post-deregulation eras: 1993-2000," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 229-245.
- Jahangir Aziz, 2008. "Real and Financial Sector Linkages in China and India," IMF Working Papers 08/95, International Monetary Fund.
- anonymous, 2007. "China's banking sector," Asia Focus, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Jokivuolle , Esa & Vesala, Timo, 2007. "Portfolio effects and efficiency of lending under Basel II," Research Discussion Papers 13/2007, Bank of Finland.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dkn:econwp:eco_2008_25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xueli Tang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.