Internationalisation and Alliance Formation: Evidence from Turkish SMEs
This study explores the issue of internationalization through forming alliances with foreign capital in the small business sector in Turkey. Using a sample of 257 SMEs from this emerging market economy, collected via a field study, we investigate the impact of size (measured by investment levels and number of workers), sectoral preferences, factors causing low capacity utilization, management control, and the education level of CEOs on the alliance decisions of small firms. Multinomial logit estimations are employed to obtain a detailed and rich set of results. Overall, we find that Turkish SMEs would like foreign capital to help them expand their production capacity, while also serving as a conduit to convey their products to world markets. Size-specific, sectorspecific and management-specific factors are identified in the alliance behavior. We also investigate whether alliance motivation is a product of unidimensional or multidimensional decision-making process on the part of SMEs. Size, as shown by investment, and factors causing low capacity utilization are found to be the main contributors to the multidimensionality of the alliance motivation through influencing the alliance behavior predicted by other firm attributes.
|Date of creation:||13 Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 61 3 9244 3815
Web page: http://www.deakin.edu.au/buslaw/aef/index.php
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Madsen, Tage Koed & Servais, Per, 1997. "The internationalization of Born Globals: An evolutionary process?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(6), pages 561-583, December.
- Heinz Hollenstein, 2005. "Determinants of International Activities: Are SMEs Different?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(5), pages 431-450, 06.
- Otto Andersen, 1993. "On the Internationalization Process of Firms: A Critical Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(2), pages 209-231, June.
- Etemad, Hamid & Wright, Richard W, 2003. " Internationalization of SMEs: Toward a New Paradigm," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 1-4, February.
- Phillips McDougall, Patricia & Shane, Scott & Oviatt, Benjamin M., 1994. "Explaining the formation of international new ventures: The limits of theories from international business research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(6), pages 469-487, November.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Preston, Lee, 1997. " Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, Technology, and Globalization: Introduction to a Special Issue on Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in the Global Economy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-6, February.
- Minguzzi, Antonio & Passaro, Renato, 2001. "The network of relationships between the economic environment and the entrepreneurial culture in small firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 181-207, March.
- Lopez-Gracia, Jose & Aybar-Arias, Cristina, 2000. " An Empirical Approach to the Financial Behaviour of Small and Medium Sized Companies," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 55-63, February.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Analyzing Foreign Market Entry Strategies: Extending the Internalization Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 539-561, September.
- Erzan, Refik & Filiztekin, Alpay, 1997. "Competitiveness of Turkish SMSEs in the Customs Union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 881-892, April.
- Mateja Drnovsek, 2004. "Job Creation Process in a Transition Economy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 179-188, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dkn:econwp:eco_2006_05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xueli Tang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.