Monetary Disinflation, Fiscal Expansion and the Current Account in an Interdependent World
A two-country, intertemporal, perfect-foresight model with micro foundations, Cobb-Douglas preferences and technologies, floating exchange rates, uncovered interest parity,and nominal wage rigidities is formulated. The transient and steady-state effects of a joint and unilateral monetary disinflation and a fiscal expansion are analysed. The foreign repercussions of monetary and fiscal policy do not affect the home economy, so that the multipliers are the same as for a small open economy. Since Ricardian debt neutrality holds, the nominal interest rate is equal to the rate of time preference plus the discounted average of future, expected monetary growth rates, and is independent of fiscal policy and foreign policies. Also, monetary disinflation does not lead to overshooting of the nominal exchange rate. To give a non-trivial role to wealth effects, current-account dynamics and the nominal exchange rate, and to allow for more interesting international spillover effects, the model is extended to allow for finite lifetimes so that Ricardian debt neutrality no longer holds. The transient effects of tax-financed and debt-financed changes in monetary growth and government spending are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1990|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Willem H. Buiter & Marcus Miller, 1991.
"Real Exchange Rate Overshooting and the Output Cost of Bringing Down Inflation,"
in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 239-277
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Miller, Marcus, 1982. "Real exchange rate overshooting and the output cost of bringing down inflation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 85-123.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Miller, Marcus, 1982. "Real exchange rate overshooting and the output cost of bringing down inflation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 85-123.
- Willem H. Buiter & Marcus H. Miller, 1981. "Real Exchange Rate Overshooting and the Output Cost of Bringing Down Inflation," NBER Working Papers 0749, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H & Miller, Marcus, 1981. "Real Exchange Rate Overshooting and the Output Cost of Bringing Down Inflation," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 204, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Van Der Ploeg, F., 1986. "Monetary disinflation in a simple two-country model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 73-76.
- Markink & A.J. & Van Der Ploeg.F, 1989. "Dynamic Policy Simulation Of Linear Models With Rational Expectations Of Future Events: A Computer Package," Papers 8906, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1980. "Exchange Rates and the Current Account," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 960-971, December.
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1985. "Can international monetary policy cooperation be counterproductive?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3-4), pages 199-217, May.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1986. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy under Perfect Foresight: A Symmetric Two-country Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210), pages 139-157, May.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1985. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Under Perfect Foresight: A Symmetric Two Country Analysis," NBER Working Papers 1699, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1988. "The real exchange rate, the capital stock, and fiscal policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1747-1767, November.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985. "Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-247, April.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984. "Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons," NBER Working Papers 1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-1176, December.
- David Currie & Paul Levine, 1985. "Macroeconomic Policy Design in an Interdependent World," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Policy Coordination, pages 228-273 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1989. "Fiscal deficits and relative prices in a growing world economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 461-484, May.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1988. "Fiscal Deficits and Relative Prices in a Growing World Economy," NBER Working Papers 2725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:366. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.