Correlated risks, bivariate utility and optimal choices
In this paper, we consider a dÃ©cision-maker facing a financial risk flanked by a background risk, possibly non-financial, such as health or environmental risk. A decision has to be made about the amount of an investment (in the financial dimension) resulting in a future benefit either in the same dimension (savings) or in the order dimension (environmental quality or health improvement). In the first case, we show that the optimal amount of savings decreases as the pair of risks increases in the bivariate increasing concave dominance rules of higher degrees which express the common preferences of all the decision-makers whose two-argument utility function possesses direct and cross derivatives fulfilling some specific requirements. Roughly speaking, the optimal amount of savings decreases as the two risks become "less positively correlated" or marginally improve in univariate stochastic dominance. In the second case, a similar conclusion on optimal investment is reached under alternative conditions on the derivatives of the utility function.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Eeckhoudt & H. Schlesinger, 2008.
"Changes in risk and the demand for saving,"
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Harris Schlesinger, 2008. "Changes in Risk and the Demand for Saving," CESifo Working Paper Series 2388, CESifo Group Munich.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & SCHLESINGER, Harris, . "Changes in risk and the demand for saving," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2100, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marco Scarsini & Israel Finkelshtain & Offer Kella, 1999.
"On risk aversion with two risks,"
- EECKHOUDT, louis & REY, BÃ©atrice & SCHLESINGER, Harris, .
"A good sign for multivariate risk taking,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1900, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:bla:restud:v:37:y:1970:i:3:p:353-60 is not listed on IDEAS
- Doherty, Neil A & Schlesinger, Harris, 1983. "Optimal Insurance in Incomplete Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(6), pages 1045-54, December.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1974. "Risk aversion with many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 361-388, July.
- Denuit, Michel & Vylder, Etienne De & Lefevre, Claude, 1999. "Extremal generators and extremal distributions for the continuous s-convex stochastic orderings," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 201-217, May.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-2207 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kimball, Miles S, 1993.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 589-611, May.
- Larry G. Epstein & Stephen M. Tanny, 1980. "Increasing Generalized Correlation: A Definition and Some Economic Consequences," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(1), pages 16-34, February.
- Ekern, Steinar, 1980. "Increasing Nth degree risk," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 329-333.
- Thomas Eichner & Andreas Wagener, 2003. "Variance Vulnerability, Background Risks, and Mean-Variance Preferences," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(2), pages 173-184, December.
- Menegatti, Mario, 2001. "On the Conditions for Precautionary Saving," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 189-193, May.
- Mario Menegatti, 2009. "Optimal saving in the presence of two risks," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 96(3), pages 277-288, April.
- Christophe Courbage & Béatrice Rey, 2007. "Precautionary saving in the presence of other risks," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 417-424, August.
- repec:bla:restud:v:49:y:1982:i:2:p:183-201 is not listed on IDEAS
- Denuit, Michel & Lefevre, Claude & Mesfioui, M'hamed, 1999. "A class of bivariate stochastic orderings, with applications in actuarial sciences," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 31-50, March.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & Christian GOLLIER & Harris SCHLESINGER, 1994.
"Changes in Background Risk and Risk Taking Behavior,"
005, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 1996. "Changes in Background Risk and Risk-Taking Behavior," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 683-89, May.
- Pratt, John W, 1988. " Aversion to One Risk in the Presence of Others," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 395-413, December.
- Mario Menegatti, 2009. "Precautionary saving in the presence of other risks: a comment," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 473-476, June.
- DENUIT, Michel & EECKHOUDT, Louis & REY, BÃ©atrice, . "Some consequences of correlation aversion in decision science," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2207, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2009007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.