Fractional regression models for second stage DEA efficiency analyses
Data envelopment analysis (DEA) is commonly used to measure the relative efficiency of decision-making units. Often, in a second stage, a regression model is estimated to relate DEA efficiency scores to exogenous factors. In this paper, we argue that the traditional linear or tobit approaches to second-stage DEA analysis do not constitute a reasonable data-generating process for DEA scores. Under the assumption that DEA scores can be treated as descriptive measures of the relative performance of units in the sample, we show that using fractional regression models are the most natural way of modeling bounded, proportional response variables such as DEA scores. We also propose generalizations of these models and, given that DEA scores take frequently the value of unity, examine the use of two-part models in this framework. Several tests suitable for assessing the specification of each alternative model are also discussed.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (351) 266 740 869
Web page: http://www.cefage.uevora.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Valentin Zelenyuk & Vitaliy Zheka, 2006. "Corporate Governance and Firm’s Efficiency: The Case of a Transitional Country, Ukraine," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 143-157, 04.
- Kneip, Alois & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, L opold, 1998. "A Note On The Convergence Of Nonparametric Dea Estimators For Production Efficiency Scores," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 783-793, December.
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1982.
"Pseudo maximum lilelihood methods : applications to poisson models,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984. "Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Applications to Poisson Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 701-20, May.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-93, May.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2003.
"Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach,"
LEM Papers Series
2003/17, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2005. "Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-121, 09.
- Laure Latruffe & Sophia Davidova & Kelvin Balcombe, 2008. "Application of a double bootstrap to investigation of determinants of technical efficiency of farms in Central Europe," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 183-191, April.
- McDonald, John F & Moffitt, Robert A, 1980. "The Uses of Tobit Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 318-21, May.
- Pagan, Adrian & Vella, Frank, 1989. "Diagnostic Tests for Models Based on Individual Data: A Survey," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages S29-59, Supplemen.
- Poirier, Dale J., 1980. "A lagrange multiplier test for skewness in binary logit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 141-143.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfe:wpcefa:2010_01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.