The Impact of the New Rural Cooperative Medical Scheme on Activities and Financing of Township Hospitals in Weifang, China
Since 2003, the New Rural Cooperative Medical Scheme, a community-based health insurance, is gradually implemented in China, in order to increase the access of the poor to healthcare services, reduce out-of-pocket expenditures and avoid catastrophic health expenditures. The paper estimates the impact of the New Rural Cooperative Medical Scheme on a sample of 24 randomly selected township hospitals of Weifang prefecture (Shandong province, China), using a generalized form of differences-in-differences model on longitudinal data over the period 2000-2008. Estimations highlight three main results. First, the New Rural Cooperative Medical Scheme has a positive impact on the utilization of township hospitals, mainly on inpatient services, but none effect on their financial structure. In addition, the positive impact on the volume of discharged patients is higher in poor areas rather than the non-poor, reflecting a decrease of the burden of hospitalization costs. Lastly, the marginal impact of the reform is decreasing over time.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Applied Behavioral Economics, 2017, pages 23-33|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 65 Bd. F. Mitterrand, 63000 Clermont-Ferrand|
Phone: (33-4) 73 17 74 00
Fax: (33-4) 73 17 74 28
Web page: http://cerdi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Janvry, Alain & McIntosh, Craig & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2010.
"The supply- and demand-side impacts of credit market information,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 173-188, November.
- Alain de Janvry & Craig McIntosh & Elisabeth Sadoulet, 2006. "The supply and demand side impacts of credit market information," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.