Common Frameworks for Regional Competitiveness: Insights from a Number of Local Knowledge Economies
In a reference framework towards the knowledge economy concept and in relation to the notion of Regional Innovation System (RIS), we consider a set of European regions that in the last two decades experienced a process of economic and industrial renewal, with a two-fold aim. Focusing on the time dynamics of the territories’ renewal, we first classify the different regional development paths followed by the very regions under investigation in their process towards a knowledge economy. Secondly, we compare the above territories with a sample of Italian regions (those with the highest employment level in manufacturing activities and the largest income per-capita). Even though the European benchmarking regions are specialized in high-tech sectors, they share an industrial past based on heavy and traditional industries. In this respect, the two groups are not so different in nature, and their comparison reveals some interesting local policy implications and strategic insights for the regional transformation process.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unibg.it/struttura/en_struttura.asp?cerca=en_dige_intro
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-71, September.
- Asheim, Bjørn & Coenen, Lars & Moodysson, Jerker & Vang, Jan, 2005. "Regional Innovation System Policy: a Knowledge-based Approach," Papers in Innovation Studies 2005/13, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Cooke, Philip & Gomez Uranga, Mikel & Etxebarria, Goio, 1997. "Regional innovation systems: Institutional and organisational dimensions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 475-491, December.
- Freeman, C., 1991. "Networks of innovators: A synthesis of research issues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 499-514, October.
- �sa Lindholm Dahlstrand, 1999. "Technology-based SMEs in the Go �teborg Region: Their Origin and Interaction with Universities and Large Firms," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 379-389.
- Simon Collinson, 2000. "Knowlege networks for innovation in small Scottish software firms," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 217-244, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:brh:wpaper:0512. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (University of Bergamo Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.