Calibration Results for Non-Expected Utility Theories
Rabin proved that a low level of risk aversion with respect to small gambles leads to a high, and absurd, level of risk aversion with respect to large gambles. Rabin’s arguments strongly depend on expected utility theory, but we show that similar arguments apply to general non-expected utility theories.
|Date of creation:||18 May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published, Econometrica, 76:5, 1143-1166, 2008.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Battalio, Raymond C & Kagel, John H & Jiranyakul, Komain, 1990. " Testing between Alternative Models of Choice under Uncertainty: Some Initial Results," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 25-50, March.
- Segal, Uzi & Spivak, Avia, 1990.
"First order versus second order risk aversion,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 111-125, June.
- Machina, Mark J, 1987. "Choice under Uncertainty: Problems Solved and Unsolved," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 121-54, Summer.
- Dekel, Eddie, 1986. "An axiomatic characterization of preferences under uncertainty: Weakening the independence axiom," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 304-318, December.
- Karni, Edi & Safra, Zvi, 1990.
Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 487-95, June.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
- Zvi Safra & Uzi Segal, 2005. "Are Universal Preferences Possible? Calibration Results for Non-Expected Utility Theories," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 633, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Palacios-Huerta, Ignacio & Serrano, Roberto, 2006.
"Rejecting small gambles under expected utility,"
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 250-259, May.
- Chris Starmer, 2000. "Developments in Non-expected Utility Theory: The Hunt for a Descriptive Theory of Choice under Risk," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(2), pages 332-382, June.
- Segal, U. & Spivak, A., 1995.
"First-Order Risk Aversion and Non-Differentiability,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9519, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Uzi Segal & Avia Spivak, 1996. "First-order risk aversion and non-differentiability (*)," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 179-183.
- Chew, S H & Epstein, Larry G & Segal, U, 1991. "Mixture Symmetry and Quadratic Utility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 139-63, January.
- Mark J Machina, 1982.
""Expected Utility" Analysis without the Independence Axiom,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7650, David K. Levine.
- Machina, Mark J, 1982. ""Expected Utility" Analysis without the Independence Axiom," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 277-323, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boc:bocoec:682. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.