IDEAS home Printed from https://ideas.repec.org/p/bde/wpaper/0003.html
   My bibliography  Save this paper

The Financing Arrangements for the Regional (Autonomous) Governments for the Period 1997-2001

Author

Listed:
  • Luis Gordo

    (Banco de España)

  • Pablo Hernández de Cos

    (Banco de España)

Abstract

Fiscal decentralisation has been one of the key features of developments in the Spanish public sector in recent decades. There has been a gradual shift of responsibilities for the management of certain services form the State to the regional governments along with development of the arrangements for financing these responsabilities. This paper focuses on analysing the financing arrangements for the RGs, describing those currently in force for the ordinary-regime RGs' resources is discussed. This information shows that only about 30% of resources are obtained directly from taxpayers and, therefore, help to increase the degree of fiscal co-reponsibility of the RGs, while the majority, the other 70%, come from other general government bodies. With the new agreement for the period 1997-2000, the relative weight of tax resources rose by almost 10 percentage ponts of GDP, especially as a consequence of the incorporation of the regional tranche of the personal income tax for the ordinary-regime RGs which accepted the agreement. The relationship between transfers and tax resources is the reverse in Navarre and in the Basque Country.

Suggested Citation

  • Luis Gordo & Pablo Hernández de Cos, 2000. "The Financing Arrangements for the Regional (Autonomous) Governments for the Period 1997-2001," Working Papers 0003, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
  • Handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:0003
    as

    Download full text from publisher

    File URL: http://www.bde.es/f/webbde/SES/Secciones/Publicaciones/PublicacionesSeriadas/DocumentosTrabajo/00/Fic/dt0003.pdf
    File Function: First version, 2000
    Download Restriction: no

    Citations

    Citations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
    as


    Cited by:

    1. Balassone, Fabrizio & Franco, Daniele & Zotteri, Stefania, 2003. "Fiscal rules for sub-national governments: what lessons from EMU countries?," Sede de la CEPAL en Santiago (Estudios e Investigaciones) 34926, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).

    More about this item

    Keywords

    public sector; management; financing;

    JEL classification:

    • H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
    • H22 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Incidence
    • R5 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis

    Statistics

    Access and download statistics

    Corrections

    All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:0003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

    For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (María Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de España). General contact details of provider: http://www.bde.es/ .

    If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

    We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .

    If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

    Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.

    IDEAS is a RePEc service hosted by the Research Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis . RePEc uses bibliographic data supplied by the respective publishers.