Productive, Geographic and Debtor Diversification and Its Effect on the Quality of the Credit Portfolio in Argentina
This paper analyzes the relationship between the quality of the commercial credit portfolio and diversification in the financial entities of Argentina during the period 1998-2006. To this effect, a database of the financial sector (banking and non-banking) is used, which allows to consider three potential dimensions of diversification: per productive sector, per province and per client. In addition to characterizing the financial entities’ diversification decisions during the period under analysis, which includes the severe economic and financial crisis of late 2001, the paper analyzes the determinants of the portfolio’s quality including the effect of diversification in the three dimensions stated above. The results indicate that, by controlling for the relevant variables, specialization improves the quality of the credit portfolio.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Reconquista 266 - C1003ABF - Buenos Aires|
Phone: (54-11) 4348-3582
Fax: (54-11) 4348-3794
Web page: http://www.bcra.gov.ar
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- von Westernhagen, Natalja & Porath, Daniel & Hayden, Evelyn, 2006.
"Does diversification improve the performance of German banks? Evidence from individual bank loan portfolios,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2006,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Evelyn Hayden & Daniel Porath & Natalja Westernhagen, 2007. "Does Diversification Improve the Performance of German Banks? Evidence from Individual Bank Loan Portfolios," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 123-140, December.
- Evelyn Hayden & Daniel Porath & Natalja von Westernhagen, 2006. "Does Diversification Improve the Performance of German Banks? Evidence from Individual Bank Loan Portfolios," Working Papers 110, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcr:wpaper:200836. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Federico Grillo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.