Productive, Geographic and Debtor Diversification and Its Effect on the Quality of the Credit Portfolio in Argentina
This paper analyzes the relationship between the quality of the commercial credit portfolio and diversification in the financial entities of Argentina during the period 1998-2006. To this effect, a database of the financial sector (banking and non-banking) is used, which allows to consider three potential dimensions of diversification: per productive sector, per province and per client. In addition to characterizing the financial entities’ diversification decisions during the period under analysis, which includes the severe economic and financial crisis of late 2001, the paper analyzes the determinants of the portfolio’s quality including the effect of diversification in the three dimensions stated above. The results indicate that, by controlling for the relevant variables, specialization improves the quality of the credit portfolio.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Reconquista 266 - C1003ABF - Buenos Aires|
Phone: (54-11) 4348-3582
Fax: (54-11) 4348-3794
Web page: http://www.bcra.gov.ar
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evelyn Hayden & Daniel Porath & Natalja Westernhagen, 2007.
"Does Diversification Improve the Performance of German Banks? Evidence from Individual Bank Loan Portfolios,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 32(3), pages 123-140, December.
- Evelyn Hayden & Daniel Porath & Natalja von Westernhagen, 2006. "Does Diversification Improve the Performance of German Banks? Evidence from Individual Bank Loan Portfolios," Working Papers 110, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- von Westernhagen, Natalja & Porath, Daniel & Hayden, Evelyn, 2006. "Does diversification improve the performance of German banks? Evidence from individual bank loan portfolios," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2006,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcr:wpaper:200836. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Federico Grillo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.