Argentina 1999 – 2005: Analyzing the Market of Bank Lending for Companies During Times of Sudden Changes of Economic Regimes
The change in regime that came about in Argentine by 2001 provides an opportunity to explore the behaviour of economic agents in a context of changes in the incentives structure, and to consider the way in which their characteristics influenced the observed behaviours. We explore – by tapping the rich data available in the data bases of the Central Bank of the Argentine Republic, National Customs Administration and the Federal Bureau for Public Revenue how the demand for financing by productive units was validated through the bank lending market. We have found that the Argentine financial system showed a behaviour consistent with the one predicted by models of Twin Crises, and that it started out, after a turbulent 2002, on the path to recovery. Despite the fact that the behaviour of aggregate lending was in line with a contraction of demand, a detailed study permits to observe that such a conclusion is dispelled. The estimated models contribute significantly and cogently to explain the amounts effectively transacted in the lending market. There is, lastly, clear evidence of the instability of parameters along the period. Such instability is transitory for some variables but others display changes that seem of a more abiding nature.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Reconquista 266 - C1003ABF - Buenos Aires|
Phone: (54-11) 4348-3582
Fax: (54-11) 4348-3794
Web page: http://www.bcra.gov.ar
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Vegh, Carlos, 1999. "Do Exchange Rate-Based Stabilizations Carry the Seeds of Their Own Destruction?," MPRA Paper 8952, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Velasco, Andres, 1987. "Financial crises and balance of payments crises : A simple model of the southern cone experience," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 263-283, October.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999.
"The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcr:wpaper:200609. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Federico Grillo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.