The Theory And Econometrics Of Health Information In Cross-Sectional Nutrient Demand Analysis
Understanding the role of health information in food and nutrient demand has become an important issue over the last decade. Endogeneity and measurement error are two empirical problems that are inherent in this type of analysis. While some type of instrumental variables estimation would appear the obvious solution, this paper provides several theoretical and empirical reasons why this is not the case in cross-sectional analysis. An alternative estimation strategy is pursued, an empirical example given, and the implications discussed.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: College Station, TX 77849-2124|
Web page: http://agecon.tamu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Keywords: Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
Other versions of this item:
- Jaehong Park & George C. Davis, 2001. "The Theory and Econometrics of Health Information in Cross-Sectional Nutrient Demand Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 840-851.
- You, Wen & Davis, George C. & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr. & McIntosh, Alex, 2005. "Parental Time and Children's Obesity Measures," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19386, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Richards, Timothy J. & Mancino, Lisa, 2012. "Demand for Food Away from Home: A Multiple Discrete/Continuous Extreme Value Model," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 127103, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Thiele, S., 2002. "Die Nachfrage nach ErnÃ¤hrungsqualitÃ¤t als Gesundheitsaspekt in der Lebensmittelnachfrage," Proceedings "Schriften der Gesellschaft fÃ¼r Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften des Landbaues e.V.", German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA), vol. 37.
- Huang, Ju-Chin & Haab, Timothy C. & Whitehead, John C., 2004.
"Risk Valuation in the Presence of Risky Substitutes: An Application to Demand for Seafood,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(01), pages 213-228, April.
- Huang, Ju-Chin & Haab, Timothy C. & Whitehead, John C., 2004. "Risk Valuation in the Presence of Risky Substitutes: An Application to Demand for Seafood," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Mancino, Lisa & Kuchler, Fred, 2006. "Estimating the Impact of Medication on Diabetics' Diet and Lifestyle Choices," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21459, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bemile, Esther & Anders, Sven M., 2014. "Linking Diet-Health Behaviour and Obesity using Propensity Score Matching," 2014 International Congress, August 26-29, 2014, Ljubljana, Slovenia 182832, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fabrice Etilé, 2006. "Who does the hat fit? Teenager heterogeneity and the effectiveness of information policies in preventing cannabis use and heavy drinking," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(7), pages 697-718.
- Lazarus, Sheryl S. & McCullough, Gerard J., 2005. "The Impact of Outsourcing on Efficiency in Rural and Nonrural School Districts: The Case of Pupil Transportation in Minnesota," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 35(1).
- Øvrum, Arnstein & Alfnes, Frode & Almli, Valérie L. & Rickertsen, Kyrre, 2012. "Health information and diet choices: Results from a cheese experiment," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 520-529.
- Kinsey, Jean D. & Mancino, Lisa, 2004. "Diet Quality And Calories Consumed: The Impact Of Being Hungrier, Busier And Eating Out," Working Papers 14324, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
- Yen, Steven T. & Lin, Biing-Hwan & Davis, Christopher G., 2008. "Consumer knowledge and meat consumption at home and away from home," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 631-639, December.
- Carlson, Andrea & Lino, Mark & Fungwe, Thomas V. & Guenther, Patricia M., 2009. "Eating a Healthy Diet: Is Cost a Major Factor?," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49259, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Pedro A. Alviola & Oral Capps, 2010. "Household demand analysis of organic and conventional fluid milk in the United States based on the 2004 Nielsen Homescan panel," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(3), pages 369-388.
- Kristen Capogrossi & Wen You, 2013. "Academic Performance and Childhood Misnourishment: A Quantile Approach," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 141-156, June.
- Mancino, Lisa & Carlson, Andrea, 2005. "Factors Affecting Grain Consumption: Evidence from 1999-2002 NHANES Survey Data," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19529, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mancino, Lisa & Dietz, Brian, 2002. "Intentions, Information, and Convenience: An Empirical Analysis of their Effect on the American Diet and Demand for Meat," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24944, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mancino, Lisa, 2002. "The Roles Of Beliefs, Information, And Convenience In The American Diet," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19837, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- You, Wen & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 2003. "Impact Of Food Away From Home On Children'S Diet," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22239, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wendy J. Umberger & Xiaobo He & Nicholas Minot & Hery Toiba, 2015. "Examining the Relationship between the Use of Supermarkets and Over-nutrition in Indonesia," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 97(2), pages 510-525.
- Umberger, Wendy J. & He, Xiaobo & Minot, Nicholas & Toiba, Hery, 2014. "Examining the Relationship between the Use of Supermarkets and Over-nutrition in Indonesia," 2014 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2014, Minneapolis, Minnesota 177168, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Boizot-Szantai, Christine & Etile, Fabrice, 2005. "The Food Prices / Body Mass Index Relationship: Theory and Evidence from a Sample of French Adults," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24734, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mancino, Lisa & Kinsey, Jean D., 2008. "Is Dietary Knowledge Enough? Hunger, Stress, and Other Roadblocks to Healthy Eating," Economic Research Report 56465, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Xue, Hong & Mainville, Denise Y. & You, Wen & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 2009. "Nutrition Knowledge, Sensory Characteristics and Consumers’ Willingness to Pay for Pasture-Fed Beef," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49277, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:tamufp:24015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed