Research on Agricultural Development in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Critical Survey
This survey focuses on the rural economy which is broadly defined to include the agricultural sector plus rural nonfarm activities such as small-scale industry, trade, processing, and fishing. It reviews research on migration, employment, and income distribution in order to understand linkages between the agricultural and nonagricultural sectors.
|Date of creation:||1982|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039|
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- Kamuanga, Mulumba, 1985. "Irrigation Investment in Africa: Major Issues in the Design and Implementation of Large Schemes," 1985 Conference, August 26-September 4, 1985, MÃ¡laga, Spain 182603, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Udry, Christopher & Czukas, Katherine, 1998.
"Drought and saving in West Africa: are livestock a buffer stock?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 273-305, April.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Chris Udry & Katherine Czukas, "undated". "Drought and Saving in West Africa: Are Livestock a Buffer Stock?," Working Papers 97013, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Oluoch-Kosura, Willis, 1983. "An Economic Analysis of Small Farm Mechanization in Western Province, Kenya," Dissertations-Doctoral 209747, AgEcon Search.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:239736 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eicher, Carl K. & Staatz, John M., 1985. "Food Security Policy in Sub-Saharan Africa," 1985 Conference, August 26-September 4, 1985, MÃ¡laga, Spain 182560, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Larson,Donald F. & Muraoka,Rie & Otsuka,Keijiro, 2016. "On the central role of small farms in African rural development strategies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7710, The World Bank.
- Maxwell, Daniel G. & Wiebe, Keith D., 1998. "Land Tenure And Food Security: A Review Of Concepts, Evidence, And Methods," Research Papers 12752, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Land Tenure Center.
- Schoneveld, George Christoffel, 2014. "The geographic and sectoral patterns of large-scale farmland investments in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 34-50.
- Savadogo, Kimseyinga & Brandt, Jon A., 1988. "Household Food Demand in Burkina Faso: Implications for Food Policy," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 2(4), December.
- Ryan, James G. & Wang'ati, F.J., 1983. "Proceedings of the Eastern Africa-ACIAR Consultation on Agricultural Research: Major Agricultural Problems and Research Priorities in the Eastern-Africa Region," Proceedings 127052, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research.
- Byiringiro, Fidele Usabuwera & Reardon, Thomas, 1996. "Farm productivity in Rwanda: effects of farm size, erosion, and soil conservation investments," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 15(2), November.
- Byiringiro, Fidele & Reardon, Thomas, 1996. "Farm productivity in Rwanda: effects of farm size, erosion, and soil conservation investments," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 127-136, November.
- Svedberg, Peter, 1999. "841 Million Undernourished?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2081-2098, December.
- Eicher, Carl K., 1986. "Food Security Research Priorities in Sub-Saharan Africa," Staff Papers 200916, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Haggblade, Steven & Hazell, Peter B., 1988. "Prospects for equitable growth in rural sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 8, The World Bank.
- Kassier, W E & Groenewald, J A, 1990. "The Agricultural Economy of South Africa," 1990 Symposium, Agricultural Restructuring in Southern Africa, July 24-27, 1990, Swakopmund, Namibia 183486, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tabatabai H., 1985. "Food crisis and development policies in sub-saharan Africa," ILO Working Papers 992397363402676, International Labour Organization.
- William Easterly, 2009. "Can the West Save Africa?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(2), pages 373-447, June.
- William Easterly, 2008. "Can the West Save Africa?," NBER Working Papers 14363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Meltzer, 1995. "Livestock in africa: The economics of ownership and production, and the potential for improvement," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer;The Agriculture, Food, & Human Values Society (AFHVS), vol. 12(2), pages 4-18, March.
- Reardon, Thomas, 1995. "Sustainability issues for agricultural research strategies in the semi-arid tropics: Focus on the Sahel," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 345-359.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:mididp:54071. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed