Optimal Pricing, Inflation, and the Cost of Price Adjustment
- Eytan Sheshinski() (Hebrew University of Jerusalem)Yoram Weiss() (Tel Aviv University)Registered editor(s):
What are the real effects of inflation? These collected articles constitute what is perhaps the definitive study of pricing models under inflation, providing a solid basis for further research on this elusive question. Covering a broad range of theory and applications by well-known microeconomists, the eighteen contributions evaluate the effects of inflation on aggregate output and on welfare and reveal the scope of recent efforts to explicitly incorporate frictions in economic models. A basic building block common to most of the essays in this volume is the observation that individual firms change nominal prices intermittently. The frequency and size of nominal price changes are influenced by the cost of price adjustment and changes in the economic environment, production costs, market demand, market structure, and most important, inflation. Thus the degree of nominal rigidity is influenced by the economic environment, and in a dynamic context. Two introductory essays survey the empirical studies of pricing policies by individual firms and the theoretical efforts to integrate the nominal rigidities at the micro level into macro relationships. The essays that follow treat the general problem of optimal dynamic adjustment in the presence of convex costs of adjustment, include applications of the inventory models to the case of nominal price adjustment by an individual firm, address the question of aggregation, introduce active search by consumers, and provide empirical analysis of nominal price rigidities.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
- Daniel Levy & Haipeng (Allan) Chen & Georg Müller & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen, 2010.
"Holiday Price Rigidity and Cost of Price Adjustment,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 77(305), pages 172-198, 01.
- Daniel Levy & Georg Müller & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen, 2002. "Holiday Price Rigidity and Cost of Price Adjustment," Working Papers 2002-03, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Daniel Levy & Georg Muller & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen, 2002. "Holiday Price Rigidity and Cost of Price Adjustment," Emory Economics 0208, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Daniel Levy & Georg Muller & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen, 2004. "Holiday Price Rigidity and Cost of Price Adjustment," Macroeconomics 0402019, EconWPA, revised 10 Jun 2005.
- Daniel Levy & Georg Mueller & Haipeng (Allan) Chen & Mark Bergen & Shantanu Dutta, 2008. "Holiday Price Rigidity and Cost of Price Adjustment," Emory Economics 0802, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Levy, Daniel & Müller, Georg & Chen, Haipeng (Allan) & Bergen, Mark & Dutta, Shantanu, 2008. "Holiday Price Rigidity and Cost of Price Adjustment," MPRA Paper 13095, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel Levy & Georg Müller & Haipeng (Allan) Chen & Mark Bergen & Shantanu Dutta, 2009. "Holiday Price Rigidity and Cost of Price Adjustment," Working Papers 2009-03, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Ahlin, Christian & Shintani, Mototsugu, 2007.
"Menu costs and Markov inflation: A theoretical revision with new evidence,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 753-784, April.
- Christian Ahlin & Mototsugu Shintani, 2006. "Menu Costs and Markov Inflation: A Theoretical Revision with New Evidence," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0610, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Wadsworth, 2010.
"Did the National Minimum Wage Affect UK Prices?,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 31(1), pages 81-120, 03.
- Jonathan Wadsworth, 2009. "Did the national minimum wage affect UK prices?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 28677, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jonathan Wadsworth, 2009. "Did the National Minimum Wage Affect UK Prices?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0947, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Wadsworth, Jonathan, 2009. "Did the National Minimum Wage Affect UK Prices?," IZA Discussion Papers 4433, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chi-Young Choi, 2010. "Reconsidering the Relationship between Inflation and Relative Price Variability," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(5), pages 769-798, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtp:titles:0262193329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amanda Karby)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers various economics topics
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed