Deposit Insurance around the World: Issues of Design and Implementation
- Asl? Demirgüç-Kunt() (World Bank)Edward J. Kane() (Boston College)Luc Laeven() (International Monetary Fund)
AbstractExplicit deposit insurance (DI) is widely held to be a crucial element of modern financial safety nets. For this reason, establishing a DI system is frequently recommended by outside experts to countries undergoing reform. Predictably, DI systems have proliferated in the developing world. The number of countries offering explicit deposit guarantees rose from twenty in 1980 to eighty-seven by the end of 2003. This book challenges the wisdom of encouraging countries to adopt DI without first repairing observable weaknesses in their institutional environment. The evidence and analysis presented confirm that many countries would do well to delay the installation of a DI system. Analysis shows that many existing DI systems are not adequately designed to control possible DI-induced risk taking by financial institutions, and the book provides advice on principles of good design for those countries in the process of adopting or reforming their DI systems. Empirical evidence on the efficiency of real-world DI systems has been scarce, and analysis has focused on the experience of developed countries. The contributors to this book draw on an original cross-country dataset on DI systems and design features to examine the impact of DI on banking behavior and assess the policy complications that emerge in developing countries. Chapters covers decisions about DI adoption, design, and pricing, and review individual country experiences with DI--including issues raised by the EU's DI directive, banking reform in Russia, and policy efforts to protect depositors in China. Recent bank runs on loss-making banks in Germany and the United Kingdom have pushed the issues of DI systems back to the center of debates on regulatory policy in both developing and industrialized countries. The guiding principles identified in this book can contribute powerfully to that debate.
- Asl? Demirgüç-Kunt & Edward J. Kane & Luc Laeven (ed.), 2008. "Deposit Insurance around the World: Issues of Design and Implementation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262042541, January.Handle: RePEc:mtp:titles:0262042541
Download full text from publisherTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Luis Servén, 2010.
"Are All the Sacred Cows Dead? Implications of the Financial Crisis for Macro- and Financial Policies,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 25(1), pages 91-124, February.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Serven, Luis, 2009. "Are all the sacred cows dead ? implications of the financial crisis for macro and financial policies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4807, The World Bank.
- Sara Maccaferri & Jessica Cariboni & Wim Schoutens, 2013. "Levy Processes and the Financial Crisis: Can We Design a More Effective Deposit Protection?," International Journal of Financial Research, International Journal of Financial Research, Sciedu Press, vol. 4(1), pages 5-28, January.
- Carmassi, Jacopo & Dobkowitz, Sonja & Evrard, Johanne & Parisi, Laura & Silva, André & Wedow, Michael, 2018. "Completing the Banking Union with a European Deposit Insurance Scheme: who is afraid of cross-subsidisation?," Occasional Paper Series 208, European Central Bank.
- Košak, Marko & Li, Shaofang & Lončarski, Igor & Marinč, Matej, 2015. "Quality of bank capital and bank lending behavior during the global financial crisis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 168-183.
- Ruud A. De Mooij & Michael Keen, 2016. "Debt, Taxes, and Banks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 48(1), pages 5-33, February.
- Yoon Je Cho, 2010. "The Role of State Intervention in the Financial Sector : Crisis Prevention, Containment, and Resolution," Finance Working Papers 23013, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2013.
"Are banks too big to fail or too big to save? International evidence from equity prices and CDS spreads,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 875-894.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2010. "Are banks too big to fail or too big to save ? International evidence from equity prices and CDS spreads," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5360, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2010. "Are banks too big to fail or too big to save? International evidence from equity prices and CDS spreads," CEPR Discussion Papers 7903, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Huizinga, H.P., 2010. "Are Banks Too Big to Fail or Too Big to Save? International Evidence from Equity Prices and CDS Spreads," Discussion Paper 2010-59, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Matthew Jaremski, 2016. "Deposit Insurance: Theories and Facts," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 8(1), pages 97-120, October.
- Hamada, Miki, 2011. "Market discipline by depositors : impact of deposit insurance on the Indonesian banking sector," IDE Discussion Papers 292, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Malherbe, Frederic, 2015.
"Optimal capital requirements over the business and financial cycles,"
Working Paper Series
1830, European Central Bank.
- Frederic Malherbe, 2015. "Optimal Capital Requirements over the Business and Financial Cycles," 2015 Meeting Papers 1154, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Malherbe, Frédéric, 2015. "Optimal capital requirements over the business and financial cycles," CEPR Discussion Papers 10387, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2009. "Bank governance, regulation and risk taking," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 259-275, August.
- Stijn Claessens, 2015. "An Overview of Macroprudential Policy Tools," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 7(1), pages 397-422, December.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Kane, Edward & Laeven, Luc, 2015. "Deposit insurance around the world: A comprehensive analysis and database," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 155-183.
- repec:spr:jecfin:v:41:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s12197-015-9341-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yanotti, Maria Belen, 2013. "A review of the Australian mortgage market," Working Papers 2014-01, University of Tasmania, Tasmanian School of Business and Economics, revised 01 Aug 2013.
- Yoon Je Cho, 2010. "The Role of State Intervention in the Financial Sector: Crisis Prevention, Containment, and Resolution," Working Papers id:3017, eSocialSciences.
- Yoon Je Cho, 2012. "The Role of State Intervention in the Financial Sector: Crisis Prevention, Containment and Resolution," Chapters,in: Implications of the Global Financial Crisis for Financial Reform and Regulation in Asia, chapter 9 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Lambert, Claudia & Noth, Felix & Schüwer, Ulrich, 2017.
"How do insured deposits affect bank risk? Evidence from the 2008 Emergency Economic Stabilization Act,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 81-102.
- Claudia Lambert & Felix Noth & Ulrich Schüwer, 2013. "How Do Insured Deposits Affect Bank Risk?: Evidence from the 2008 Emergency Economic Stabilization Act," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1347, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Lambert, Claudia & Noth, Felix & Schüwer, Ulrich, 2013. "How do insured deposits affect bank risk? Evidence from the 2008 emergency economic stabilization act," SAFE Working Paper Series 38, Research Center SAFE - Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- repec:eee:finsta:v:29:y:2017:i:c:p:36-56 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martin Byford & Sinclair Davidson, 2013. "Informing Depositors: A Proposed Reform Of The Australian Banking Sector," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 32(4), pages 417-425, December.
- Li, Gan & Wen-Yao, Wang, 2010. "Partial Deposit Insurance and Moral Hazard in Banking," MPRA Paper 25798, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
Keywordsinsurance; design; germany; united kingdom; china;
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtp:titles:0262042541. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristin Waites). General contact details of provider: http://mitpress.mit.edu .
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .