Participation in and Contributions to 401(k) Pension Plans: Evidence from Plan Data
401(k) plans differ from traditional employer-sponsored pension plans in that employees are permitted to make voluntary pre-tax contributions. Hence, the sensitivity of participation and contributions to plan characteristics-notably the employer matching rate-may play a critical role in retirement saving. Using plan level data from Form 5500s filed annually with the Internal Revenue Service, I find that substantial increases occur when an employer moves from a zero to a small or moderately sized match; but that at higher match rates employee contributions fall.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Even, W.E. & Macpherson, D.A., 1991.
"Why Did Male Pension Coverage Decline in the 1980s?,"
1991_08_01, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- William E. Even & David A. MacPherson, 1994. "Why did male pension coverage decline in the 1980s?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(3), pages 439-453, April.
- William E. Even & David A. Macpherson, 1994. "Why Did Male Pension Coverage Decline in the 1980s?," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(3), pages 439-453, April.
- Woodbury, Stephen A & Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1992.
"Taxes, Fringe Benefits and Faculty,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 287-96, May.
- Stephen A. Woodbury & Daniel S. Hamermesh, . "Taxes, Fringe Benefits, and Faculty," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles saw1992, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Stephen A. Woodbury, 1990. "Taxes, Fringe Benefits and Faculty," NBER Working Papers 3455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James M. Poterba & Steven F. Venti, 1994.
"401(k) Plans and Tax-Deferred Saving,"
in: Studies in the Economics of Aging, pages 105-142
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poterba, J.M. & Venti, S.F. & Wise, D.A., 1992. "401(k) Plans and Tax-Deferred Savings," Working papers 92-14, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- James M. Poterba & Steven F. Venti & David A. Wise, 1992. "401(k) Plans and Tax-Deferred Saving," NBER Working Papers 4181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Montgomery, Edward & Shaw, Kathryn & Benedict, Mary Ellen, 1992.
"Pensions and Wages: An Hedonic Price Theory Approach,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(1), pages 111-28, February.
- Edward B. Montgomery & Kathryn Shaw & Mary Ellen Benedict, 1990. "Pensions and Wages: An Hedonic Price Theory Approach," NBER Working Papers 3458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schiller, Bradley R & Weiss, Randall D, 1980. "Pensions and Wages: A Test for Equalizing Differences," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(4), pages 529-38, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:jhriss:v:30:y:1995:i:2:p:311-325. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.