Durable Goods: An Explanation for Their Slow Adjustment
Aggregate expenditure on durables responds only slowly to wealth and other aggregate innovations. In this paper, the author develops new results on the problem of dynamic aggregation of stochastically heterogeneous units, which help to characterize the connection between microeconomic intermittent behavior and aggregate dynamics. Using these results and splitting postwar U.S. aggregate durable purchases into different subcategories and time periods, the author provides further support for the view that lumpy microeconomi c purchases play an important role in explaining the time-series behavior of aggregate expenditure on durable goods. Copyright 1993 by University of Chicago Press.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 1990. "Expenditure on Durable Goods: A Case for Slow Adjustment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(3), pages 727-743.
- Avner Bar-Ilan & Alan S. Blinder, 1988.
"The Life Cycle Permanent-Income Model and Consumer Durables,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 9, pages 71-91.
- Avner Bar-Ilan & Alan S. Blinder, 1987. "The Life-Cycle Permanent-Income Model and Consumer Durables," NBER Working Papers 2149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guiseppe Bertola & Ricardo J. Caballero, 1994. "Irreversibility and Aggregate Investment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 223-246.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Ricardo J. Caballero, 1991. "Irreversibility and Aggregate Investment," NBER Working Papers 3865, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben, 1985. "Adjustment costs, durables, and aggregate consumption," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 41-68, January.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1982. "Adjustment Costs, Durables, and Aggregate Consumption," NBER Working Papers 1038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1981. "Retail Inventory Behavior and Business Fluctuations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(2), pages 443-520. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jpolec:v:101:y:1993:i:2:p:351-84. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.