Large Bank Efficiency in Europe and the United States: Are There Economic Motivations for Geographic Expansion in Financial Services?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- J.W.B. Bos & J.W. Kolari, 2003. "Large Bank Efficiency in Europe and the United States: Are There Economic Motivations for Geographic Expansion in Financial Services?," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 61, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
References listed on IDEAS
- Pulley, Lawrence B & Humphrey, David B, 1993. "The Role of Fixed Costs and Cost Complementarities in Determining Scope Economies and the Cost of Narrow Banking Proposals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(3), pages 437-462, July.
- Rogers, Kevin, 1998. "Product Mix, Bank Powers, and Complementarities at U. S. Commercial Banks," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 205-218, March.
- Noulas, Athanasios G & Ray, Subhash C & Miller, Stephen M, 1990. "Returns to Scale and Input Substitution for Large U.S. Banks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(1), pages 94-108, February.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181.
- Berger, Allen N. & Demsetz, Rebecca S. & Strahan, Philip E., 1999.
"The consolidation of the financial services industry: Causes, consequences, and implications for the future,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 135-194, February.
- Allen N. Berger & Rebecca Demsetz & Philip E. Strahan, 1998. "The consolidation of the financial services industry: causes, consequences, and implications for the future," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-46, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1992. "Megamergers in banking and the use of cost efficiency as an antitrust defense," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 203, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Grifell-Tatje, E. & Lovell, C. A. K., 1996. "Deregulation and productivity decline: The case of Spanish bavings banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1281-1303, June.
- Hunter, William C & Timme, Stephen G, 1986. "Technical Change, Organizational Form, and the Structure of Bank Production," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 152-166, May.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1991.
"The dominance of inefficiencies over scale and product mix economies in banking,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 117-148, August.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1990. "The dominance of inefficiencies over scale and product mix economies in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 107, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Milbourn, Todd T. & Boot, Arnoud W. A. & Thakor, Anjan V., 1999. "Megamergers and expanded scope: Theories of bank size and activity diversity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 195-214, February.
- DeYoung, Robert & Hasan, Iftekhar, 1998. "The performance of de novo commercial banks: A profit efficiency approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 565-587, May.
- Saunders, Anthony & Walter, Ingo, 1994. "Universal Banking in the United States: What Could We Gain? What Could We Lose?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195080698.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R & Jansen, Eilev S, 1992. " Malmquist Indices of Productivity Growth during the Deregulation of Norwegian Banking, 1980-89," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages 211-228, Supplemen.
- Jagtiani, Julapa & Nathan, Alli & Sick, Gordon, 1995. "Scale economies and cost complementarities in commercial banks: On-and off-balance-sheet activities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1175-1189, October.
- Waldman, Donald M., 1982. "A stationary point for the stochastic frontier likelihood," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 275-279, February.
- Hunter, William C & Timme, Stephen G & Yang, Won Keun, 1990. "An Examination of Cost Subadditivity and Multiproduct Production in Large U.S. Banks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(4), pages 504-525, November.
- Lang, Gunter & Welzel, Peter, 1999.
"Mergers among German Cooperative Banks: A Panel-Based Stochastic Frontier Analysis,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 273-286, December.
- Günter Lang, Peter Welzel, 1999. "Mergers Among German Cooperative Banks. A Panel-based Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Working Paper Series B 1999-03, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultïät.
- Clark, Jeffrey A, 1984. "Estimation of Economies of Scale in Banking Using a Generalized Functional Form," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(1), pages 53-68, February.
- Resti, Andrea, 1997. "Evaluating the cost-efficiency of the Italian Banking System: What can be learned from the joint application of parametric and non-parametric techniques," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 221-250, February.
- Hondroyiannis, George & Lolos, Sarantis & Papapetrou, Evangelia, 1999. "Assessing competitive conditions in the Greek banking system," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 377-391, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lozano-Vivas, Ana & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "The impact of non-traditional activities on the estimation of bank efficiency: International evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1436-1449, July.
- Feng, Guohua & Serletis, Apostolos, 2010.
"Efficiency, technical change, and returns to scale in large US banks: Panel data evidence from an output distance function satisfying theoretical regularity,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 127-138, January.
- Guohua Feng & Apostolos Serletis, 2009. "Efficiency, Technical Change, and Returns to Scale in Large U.S. Banks: Panel Data Evidence from an Output Distance Function Satisfying Theoretical Regularity," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 5/09, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Rossi, Stefania P.S. & Schwaiger, Markus S. & Winkler, Gerhard, 2009. "How loan portfolio diversification affects risk, efficiency and capitalization: A managerial behavior model for Austrian banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2218-2226, December.
- Thilakaweera, Bolanda Hewa & Harvie, Charles & Arjomandi, Amir, 2016. "Branch expansion and banking efficiency in Sri Lanka’s post‐conflict era," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 45-57.
- Chakraborty, Suparna & Allen, Linda, 2007. "Revisiting the Level Playing Field: International Lending Responses to Divergences in Japanese Bank Capital Regulations from the Basel Accord," MPRA Paper 1805, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pasiouras, Fotios, 2008. "Estimating the technical and scale efficiency of Greek commercial banks: The impact of credit risk, off-balance sheet activities, and international operations," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 301-318, September.
- Francesco Aiello & Graziella Bonanno, 2018.
"On The Sources Of Heterogeneity In Banking Efficiency Literature,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 194-225, February.
- Aiello, Francesco & Bonanno, Graziella, 2014. "On the Sources of Heterogeneity in Banking Efficiency Literature," MPRA Paper 58591, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francesco Aiello & Graziella Bonanno, 2016. "On The Sources Of Heterogeneity In Banking Efficiency Literature," Working Papers 201612, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza "Giovanni Anania" - DESF.
- Degl’Innocenti, Marta & Girardone, Claudia, 2012. "Ownership, diversification and cost advantages: Evidence from the Italian leasing industry," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 879-896.
- Mohanty, Sunil K. & Lin, Winston T. & Lin, Hong-Jen, 2013. "Measuring cost efficiency in presence of heteroskedasticity: The case of the banking industry in Taiwan," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 77-90.
- Francesco Aiello & Graziella Bonanno, 2016. "Efficiency in banking: a meta-regression analysis," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 112-149, January.
- Michiel Bijlsma & Machiel van Dijk & Marc Pomp & Cora Zonderland, 2005. "Competition in markets for life insurance," CPB Document 96, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Sabin Bikram Panta & Devi Prasad Bedari, Ph.D., 2015. "Cost Efficiency of Nepali Commercial Banks in the Context of Regulatory Changes," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 27(2), pages 1-16, October.
- M. Koetter, 2005.
"Evaluating the German Bank Merger Wave,"
05-16, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Koetter, Michael, 2005. "Evaluating the German bank merger wave," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2005,12, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Liadaki, Aggeliki & Gaganis, Chrysovalantis, 2010. "Efficiency and stock performance of EU banks: Is there a relationship?," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 254-259, October.
- Cristian Barra & Sergio Destefanis & Giuseppe Lubrano Lavadera, 2013. "Regulation and the Crisis: The Efficiency of Italian Cooperative Banks," CSEF Working Papers 338, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Barra, Cristian & Destefanis, Sergio & Lubrano Lavadera, Giuseppe, 2016. "Risk and regulation: A difference-in-differences analysis for Italian local banks," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(C), pages 25-32.
- Bos, J.W.B. & Schmiedel, H., 2007.
"Is there a single frontier in a single European banking market?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2081-2102, July.
- Bos, Jaap W. B. & Schmiedel, Heiko, 2006. "Is there a single frontier in a single European banking market?," Working Paper Series 701, European Central Bank.
- Kevin Davis, 2007. "Banking Concentration, Financial Stability and Public Policy," RBA Annual Conference Volume,in: Christopher Kent & Jeremy Lawson (ed.), The Structure and Resilience of the Financial System Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Ana Lozano-Vivas & Fotios Pasiouras, 2014. "Bank Productivity Change and Off-Balance-Sheet Activities Across Different Levels of Economic Development," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 271-294, December.
- Ihsen Abid & Mohamed Goaied, 2017. "Benchmarking Banking Efficiency Using a Meta-Profit Function," Journal of Quantitative Economics, Springer;The Indian Econometric Society (TIES), vol. 15(1), pages 45-74, March.
- Bleuel, Hans-H., 2009. "The German banking system and the global financial crisis: causes, developments and policy responses," Duesseldorf Working Papers in Applied Management and Economics 08, Duesseldorf University of Applied Sciences.
- Bos Jaap W.B. & Ling Chan Yee & Kolari James W & Yuan Jiang, 2010. "Competition and Critical Mass," Research Memorandum 063, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Jaap Bikker & Michiel van Leuvensteijn, 2005.
"An Exploration into Competition and Efficiency in the Dutch Life Insurance Industry,"
DNB Working Papers
047, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & J.A. Bikker, 2005. "An exploration into competition and efficiency in the Dutch life insurance industry," CPB Discussion Paper 48, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Dan Luo & Shujie Yao, "undated". "World Financial Crisis and the Rise of Chinese Commercial Banks," Discussion Papers 09/08, University of Nottingham, GEP.
More about this item
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jnlbus:v:78:y:2005:i:4:p:1555-1592. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division). General contact details of provider: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.