Valuing Product Attributes Using Single Market Data: A Comparison of Hedonic and Discrete Choice Approaches
This paper compares, via simulation, the performance of the multinomial logit and hedonic models in estimating consumer preferences for product attributes. The authors ascribe preferences over the attributes of houses to a population of consumers and, by having them bid for a set of houses, calculate equilibrium prices. The resulting data are used to estimate the two models. Coauthors are Leland Deck, Nalin Kishor, and Kenneth E. McConnell. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Volume (Year): 75 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00346535|
- Anne Beeson Royalty, "undated". "A Discrete Choice Approach to Estimating Workers' Marginal Valuation of Fringe Benefits," Working Papers 98008, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Votsis, Athanasios, 2014. "Ecosystems and the spatial morphology of urban residential property value: a multi-scale examination in Finland," MPRA Paper 53742, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007.
"A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(4), pages 588-638, 08.
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007. "A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods," Working Papers 07-27, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2007. "A Unified Framework for Measuring Preferences for Schools and Neighborhoods," NBER Working Papers 13236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Earnhart, Dietrich, 2002. "Combining Revealed and Stated Data to Examine Housing Decisions Using Discrete Choice Analysis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 143-169, January.
- Chattopadhyay, Sudip, 2000. "The effectiveness of McFaddens's nested logit model in valuing amenity improvement," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 23-43, January.
- H. Spencer Banzhaf & V. Kerry Smith, 2007. "Meta-analysis in model implementation: choice sets and the valuation of air quality improvements," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(6), pages 1013-1031.
- Smith, V. Kerry & Banzhaf, H. Spencer, 2003. "Meta Analysis in Model Implementation: Choice Sets and the Valuation of Air Quality Improvements," Discussion Papers dp-03-61, Resources For the Future.
- Christopher Timmins, 1999. "Estimating the Amenity Costs of Global Warming in Brazil: Getting the Most from Available Data," Working Papers 809, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- James R. Meldrum, 2016. "Floodplain Price Impacts by Property Type in Boulder County, Colorado: Condominiums Versus Standalone Properties," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 64(4), pages 725-750, August.
- N. Jonker, 2001. "Constructing Quality Adjusted Price Indexes: a Comparison of Hedonic and Discrete Choice Models," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 673, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Jonker, Nicole, 2002. "Constructing quality-adjusted price indices: a comparison of hedonic and discrete choice models," Working Paper Series 0172, European Central Bank.
- Wiktor L. Adamowicz & Klaus Glenk & Jürgen Meyerhoff, 2014. "Choice modelling research in environmental and resource economics," Chapters,in: Handbook of Choice Modelling, chapter 27, pages 661-674 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Basil Sharp & Michael Krausse, "undated". "Measuring Environmental Effects On Property Values: Analysis of Spatially Variable Relationships," Regional and Urban Modeling 283600087, EcoMod.
- Cristián Mardones, 2006. "Impacto de la Percepción de la Calidad del Aire sobre el Precio de las Viviendas en Concepción-Talcahuano, Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 43(128), pages 301-330.
- Pendleton, Linwood, 1999. "Reconsidering the hedonic vs. RUM debate in the valuation of recreational environmental amenities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 167-189, May.
- John Braden & Xia Feng & DooHwan Won, 2011. "Waste Sites and Property Values: A Meta-Analysis," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 50(2), pages 175-201, October.
- M. Du Preez & M.C. Sale, 2012. "Determining the impact of low-cost housing development on nearby property prices using discrete choice analysis," Working Papers 265, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M. & Hamilton, Stephen F., 2007. "Fast Food, Addiction, and Market Power," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Jérôme Massiani, 2008. "Can we use hedonic pricing to estimate freight value of time?," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2008_08, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Palmquist, Raymond B., 2006. "Property Value Models," Handbook of Environmental Economics,in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 763-819 Elsevier.
- Satoshi Nakano & Kazuhiko Nishimura, 2013. "Welfare gain from quality and price development in the Japan’s LCD TV market," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 889-908, September.
- H. Allen Klaiber & V. Kerry Smith, 2009. "Evaluating Rubin's Causal Model for Measuring the Capitalization of Environmental Amenities," NBER Working Papers 14957, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linwood Pendleton & Robert Mendelsohn, 2000. "Estimating Recreation Preferences Using Hedonic Travel Cost and Random Utility Models," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 17(1), pages 89-108, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:75:y:1993:i:2:p:225-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristin Waites)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed