The voter who wasn’t there: Referenda, representation and abstention
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Paulo P. Corte-Real & Paulo Trigo Pereira, 2002. "The voter who wasn't there: Referenda, Representation and Abstention," Working Papers Department of Economics 2002/04, ISEG - Lisbon School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, Universidade de Lisboa.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Helios Herrera & Andrea Mattozzi, 2006. "Turnout and Quorum in Referenda," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000230, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Annick Lamelle & Federico Valenciano, 2011. "Majorities with a quorum," Journal of Theoretical Politics, , vol. 23(2), pages 241-259, April.
- Birkmeier Olga & Käufl Andreas & Pukelsheim Friedrich, 2011. "Abstentions in the German Bundesrat and ternary decision rules in weighted voting systems," Statistics & Risk Modeling, De Gruyter, vol. 28(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Matthew Gould & Matthew D. Rablen, 2016. "Equitable representation in councils: theory and an application to the United Nations Security Council," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 169(1), pages 19-51, October.
- Yoichi Hizen, 2015. "A referendum experiment with participation quorums," Working Papers SDES-2015-6, Kochi University of Technology, School of Economics and Management, revised Jan 2015.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Pedro C. Magalhães & Christoph A. Vanberg, 2016.
"Experimental evidence that quorum rules discourage turnout and promote election boycotts,"
Springer;Economic Science Association, vol. 19(4), pages 886-909, December.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar-Conraria & Pedro C. Magalhães & Christoph A. Vanberg, 2013. "Experimental evidence that quorum rules discourage turnout and promote election boycotts," NIPE Working Papers 14/2013, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Hans Peter Grüner & Thomas Tröger, 2018. "Linear voting rules," CRC TR 224 Discussion Paper Series crctr224_002_2018, University of Bonn and University of Mannheim, Germany.
- Annick Laruelle & Federico Valenciano, 2012. "Quaternary dichotomous voting rules," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 38(3), pages 431-454, March.
- Matthew Gould & Matthew D. Rablen, 2017.
"Reform of the United Nations Security Council: equity and efficiency,"
Springer, vol. 173(1), pages 145-168, October.
- Matthew Gould & Matthew D. Rablen, 2014. "Reform of the United Nations Security Council: Equity and Efficiency," CESifo Working Paper Series 4818, CESifo Group Munich.
- Matthew Gould & Matthew D. Rablen, 2016. "Reform of the United Nations Security Council: Equity and Efficiency," Working Papers 2016009, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics.
- Matthew Gould & Matthew D. Rablen, 2014. "Reform of the United Nations Security Council: Equity and Efficiency," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 14-01, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- François Maniquet & Massimo Morelli, 2015.
"Approval quorums dominate participation quorums,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 45(1), pages 1-27, June.
- Maniquet, François; Morelli, Massimo, 2010. "Approval Quorums Dominate Participation Quorums," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/13, European University Institute.
- MANIQUET, François & MORELLI, Massimo & ,, 2013. "Approval quorums dominate participation quorums," CORE Discussion Papers 2013054, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MANIQUET, FranÃ§ois & MORELLI, Massimo, 2015. "Approval quorums dominate participation quorums," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2666, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Alaitz Artabe & Annick Laruelle & Federico Valenciano, 2012. "Preferences, actions and voting rules," SERIEs: Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 15-28, March.
- Yoichi Hizen & Masafumi Shinmyo, 2011. "Imposing a turnout threshold in referendums," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 148(3), pages 491-503, September.
- Ines Lindner, 2008. "A Special Case of Penrose’s Limit Theorem When Abstention is Allowed," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 64(4), pages 495-518, June.
- repec:spr:homoec:v:34:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s41412-017-0040-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patricia CharlÃ©ty & Marie-CÃ©cile Fagart & SaÃ¯d Souam, 2017. "Quorum Rules and Shareholder Power," EconomiX Working Papers 2017-35, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- repec:spr:annopr:v:244:y:2016:i:2:d:10.1007_s10479-016-2124-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Laruelle, Annick & Valenciano Llovera, Federico, 2010. "Majorities with a quorum," IKERLANAK 2010-42, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Freixas, Josep & Zwicker, William S., 2009. "Anonymous yes-no voting with abstention and multiple levels of approval," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 428-444, November.
- Nicolas Houy, 2009. "A characterization of majority voting rules with quorums," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 67(3), pages 295-301, September.
- Grüner, Hans Peter & Tröger, Thomas, 2016. "Optimal voting mechanisms with costly participation and abstention," CEPR Discussion Papers 11127, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Valenciano Llovera, Federico & Artabe, Alaitz & Laruelle, Annick, 2011. "Preferences, actions and voting rules," IKERLANAK 2011-48, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- repec:spr:soinre:v:133:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s11205-016-1408-0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marc Pauly, 2013. "Characterizing referenda with quorums via strategy-proofness," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 75(4), pages 581-597, October.
More about this item
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:sochwe:v:22:y:2004:i:2:p:349-369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.