Spanning, Valuation and Options
We model the space of marketed assets as a Riesz space of commodities. In this setting two alternative characterizations are given of the space of continuous options on a bounded asset, [s], with limited liability. The first characterization represents every continuous option on [s] as the uniform limit of portfolios of calls on [s]. The second characterization represents an option as a continuous sum (or integral) of Arrow-Debreu securities, with respect to [s]. The pricing implications of these representations are explored. In particular, the Breeden-Littzenberger pricing formula is shown to be a direct consequence of the integral representation theorem.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 1 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/199/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Jarrow, Robert A., 1986. "A characterization theorem for unique risk neutral probability measures," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 61-65.
- Avi Bick., 1982. "Comments on the Valuation of Derivative Assets," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 125, University of California at Berkeley.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1978. "A Simple Approach to the Valuation of Risky Streams," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 453-75, July.
- Kreps, David M., 1981. "Arbitrage and equilibrium in economies with infinitely many commodities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 15-35, March.
- Green, Richard C. & Jarrow, Robert A., 1987. "Spanning and completeness in markets with contingent claims," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 202-210, February.
- Bick, Avi, 1982. "Comments on the valuation of derivative assets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 331-345, November.
- N/A, 1970. "Note," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 2(4), pages i-i, October.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-51, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:1:y:1991:i:1:p:3-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.