Social learning in a changing world
In the social learning model of Banerjee  and Bikhchandani, Hirshleifer and Welch  individuals take actions sequentially after observing the history of actions taken by the predecessors and an informative private signal. If the state of the world is changing stochastically over time during the learning process, only temporary informational cascades - situations where socially valuable information is wasted - can arise. Furthermore, no cascade ever arises when the environment changes in a sufficiently unpredictable way.
Volume (Year): 11 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Note:||Received: December 5, 1996; revised version: February 11, 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/199/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lones Smith & Peter Sorensen, 2000.
"Pathological Outcomes of Observational Learning,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 371-398, March.
- Smith, L. & Sorensen, P., 1996. "Pathological Outcomes of Observational Learning," Economics Papers 115, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Smith, L. & Sorensen, P., 1996. "Pathological Outcomes of Observational Learning," Working papers 96-19, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee, 1992. "A Simple Model of Herd Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 797-817.
- Aldo Rustichini & Asher Wolinsky, 1992.
"Learning about Variable Demand in the Long Run,"
1015, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1998.
"Optimal Experimentation in a Changing Environment,"
Game Theory and Information
- Giuseppe Moscarin & Marco Ottaviani & Lones Smith, .
"Social Learning in a Changing World,"
ELSE working papers
010, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:11:y:1998:i:3:p:657-665. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.