Social learning in a changing world
In the social learning model of Banerjee  and Bikhchandani, Hirshleifer and Welch  individuals take actions sequentially after observing the history of actions taken by the predecessors and an informative private signal. If the state of the world is changing stochastically over time during the learning process, only temporary informational cascades - situations where socially valuable information is wasted - can arise. Furthermore, no cascade ever arises when the environment changes in a sufficiently unpredictable way.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Note:||Received: December 5, 1996; revised version: February 11, 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, L. & Sorensen, P., 1996.
"Pathological Outcomes of Observational Learning,"
115, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V, 1992. "A Simple Model of Herd Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 797-817, August.
- Aldo Rustichini & Asher Wolinsky, 1992.
"Learning about Variable Demand in the Long Run,"
1015, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Keller, Godfrey & Rady, Sven, 1999.
"Optimal Experimentation in a Changing Environment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 475-507, July.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1997. "Optimal Experimentation in a Changing Environment," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 333, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1998. "Optimal Experimentation in a Changing Environment," Game Theory and Information 9801001, EconWPA.
- Smith, L, 1996.
"Social Learning in a Changing World,"
96-34, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:11:y:1998:i:3:p:657-665. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.