Financial Distress And Banks'communication Policy In Crisis Times
This paper analyzes banks’ communication policies in crisis times and the role of imperfect information in enhancing banks' financial distress. If banks differ in their exposure to dubious assets, fragile banks may claim to be sound only in order to manipulate investors' expectations. Then sound banks must pay a larger interest rate than in a perfect information set-up. A stronger sanction for false information would improve the situation of the low-risk banks but would deteriorate the situation of the high-risk banks. The total effect on the economy-wide frequency of default of credit institutions is ambiguous. It can be shown that, in some cases, the optimal sanction is lower than the sanction that rules out any manipulatory behavior.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Besancenot, Damien & Vranceanu, Radu, 2005. "Socially Efficient Managerial Dishonesty," ESSEC Working Papers DR 05005, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Altman, Edward I, 1984. " A Further Empirical Investigation of the Bankruptcy Cost Question," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1067-89, September.
- Claudio Borio, 2008. "The financial turmoil of 2007-?: a preliminary assessment and some policy considerations," BIS Working Papers 251, Bank for International Settlements.
- Cordella, Tito & Levy Yeyati, Eduardo, 1998.
"Public Disclosure and Bank Failures,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1886, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 1996.
"Interbank lending and systemic risk,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 733-765.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Verrecchia, Robert E, 1991. " Disclosure, Liquidity, and the Cost of Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1325-59, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2010:i:1:p:5-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.