Subduing High Inflation In Romania. How To Better Monetary And Exchange Rate Mechanisms?
Romanian overall economic performance during the first ten years of transition can be termed so far as disappointing: the country has not been able to deliver steady growth, low unemployment and low inflation. This paper focuses on the effectiveness of monetary mechanisms and policies during this period. Special emphasis is placed on the exchange rate mechanism. The first part of the text develops a short introduction to relevant monetary theory in the transition context. In the second part, we analyze the stylized facts pertaining to the Romanian economy and put forward some weaknesses of its banking system and monetary policies. The conclusion presents a set of recommendations for a reform of the current monetary policy.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000.
"Fear of Floating,"
NBER Working Papers
7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenen, Peter B, 1995. "Capital Controls, the EMS and EMU," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(428), pages 181-92, January.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Tobin, James & Wyplosz, Charles, 1995.
"Two Cases for Sand in the Wheels of International Finance,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(428), pages 162-72, January.
- Barry Eichengreen, James Tobin, and Charles Wyplosz., 1994. "Two Cases for Sand in the Wheels of International Finance," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C94-045, University of California at Berkeley.
- Flood, Robert & Marion, Nancy, 1999.
"Perspectives on the Recent Currency Crisis Literature,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Nancy P. Marion & Robert P. Flood, 1998. "Perspectiveson the Recent Currency Crisis Literature," IMF Working Papers 98/130, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert Flood & Nancy Marion, 1998. "Perspectives on the Recent Currency Crisis Literature," NBER Working Papers 6380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2000.
"Institutions For High-Quality Growth: What They Are And How To Acquire Them,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2370, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dani Rodrik, 2000. "Institutions for High-Quality Growth: What They are and How to Acquire Them," NBER Working Papers 7540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen W. Salant & Dale W. Henderson, 1976. "Market anticipations, government policy, and the price of gold," International Finance Discussion Papers 81, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- J. Stiglitz, 1999. "Whither Reform? Ten Years of the Transition," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 7.
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Amadou N. R. Sy, 2013.
"Currency Boards, Credibility, and Macroeconomic Behavior,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(2), pages 831-870, November.
- Amadou N. R. Sy & Luis Rivera-Batiz, 2000. "Currency Boards, Credibility, and Macroeconomic Behavior," IMF Working Papers 00/97, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1983.
"Rules, Discretion and Reputation in a Model of Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
1079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Gordon, David B., 1983. "Rules, discretion and reputation in a model of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 101-121.
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 311-25, August.
- Rachel McCulloch & Blake LeBaron, 2000. "Floating, Fixed, or Super-Fixed? Dollarization Joins the Menu of Exchange-Rate Options," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 32-37, May.
- Lionel Halpern & Charles Wyplosz, 1996.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies,"
IMF Working Papers
96/125, International Monetary Fund.
- LÃ¡szlÃ³ Halpern & Charles Wyplosz, 1997. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(4), pages 430-461, December.
- Daniel Daianu, 1994. "Inter-Enterprise Arrears in a Post-Command Economy; Thoughts From a Romanian Perspective," IMF Working Papers 94/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Andrew Berg, 2000. "The Pros and Cons of Full Dollarization," IMF Working Papers 00/50, International Monetary Fund.
- M. F. Bleaney, 1999. "Price and Monetary Dynamics Under Alternative Exchange Rate Regimes," IMF Working Papers 99/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Andres Velasco & Roberto Chang, 2000. "Exchange-Rate Policy for Developing Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 71-75, May.
- Pinto, Brian & Drebentsov, Vladimir & Morozov, Alexander, 2000. "Give growth and macroeconomic stability in Russia a chance - harden budgets by eliminating nonpayments," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2324, The World Bank.
- Anne Marie Gulde & Juha KÃ¤hkÃ¶nen & Peter Keller, 2000. "Pros and Cons of Currency Board Arrangements in the Lead-Up to EU Accession and Participation in the Euro Zone," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 00/1, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2003:i:3:p:5-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.