Determinants of Commercial Bank Profitability in Mexico
El objetivo del presente trabajo es identificar los principales determinantes de la rentabilidad de la banca comercial establecida en Mexico. Se ha utilizado una base de datos de 45 bancos que representan practicamente todo el universo de la banca comercial en el periodo 2007- 2013. Se estimaron modelos dinamicos mediante estimadores Arellano Bover/Blundell Bond con un error que sigue un proceso MA(1), asi como modelos estaticos con efectos aleatorios y estimadores Hausman Taylor. Los resultados sugieren que la rentabilidad de la banca comercial esta sustentada por el nivel de capital, el cobro de comisiones y tarifas, y el control en los gastos de operacion, asi como por ciertas barreras a la entrada al mercado e impedimentos a la competencia que provocan una persistencia relativamente alta en la rentabilidad.
Volume (Year): 12 (2015)
Issue (Month): 1 (Enero-Junio)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 636 6270|
Phone: 636 6270
Fax: 633 6975
Web page: http://econoquantum.cucea.udg.mx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, Allen N, 1995.
"The Relationship between Capital and Earnings in Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 432-456, May.
- Allen Berger, 1994. "The Relationship Between Capital and Earnings in Banking," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-17, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger, 1994. "The relationship between capital and earnings in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Bourke, Philip, 1989. "Concentration and other determinants of bank profitability in Europe, North America and Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-79, March.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," MPRA Paper 32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005. "Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability," Working Papers 25, Bank of Greece.
- Stiroh, Kevin J. & Rumble, Adrienne, 2006. "The dark side of diversification: The case of US financial holding companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2131-2161, August.
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John, 1992. "Determinants of European bank profitability: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 1173-1178, December.
- Julio César Arteaga García, 2001. "El poder de mercado o eficiencia: origen de las utilidades del sistema bancario mexicano de 1995," Ensayos Revista de Economia, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Economia, vol. 0(1), pages 35-48, May.
- Hirtle, Beverly J. & Stiroh, Kevin J., 2007. "The return to retail and the performance of US banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1101-1133, April.
- Beverly Hirtle & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2005. "The return to retail and the performance of U.S. banks," Staff Reports 233, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Louzis, Dimitrios P. & Vouldis, Angelos T. & Metaxas, Vasilios L., 2012. "Macroeconomic and bank-specific determinants of non-performing loans in Greece: A comparative study of mortgage, business and consumer loan portfolios," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1012-1027.
- Dimitrios P. Louzis & Aggelos T. Vouldis & Vasilios L. Metaxas, 2010. "Macroeconomic and bank-specific determinants of non-performing loans in Greece: a comparative study of mortgage, business and consumer loan portfolios," Working Papers 118, Bank of Greece.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & Yanez, Monica, 2007. "Bank ownership and performance. Does politics matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 219-241, January.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza & Monica Yañez, 2005. "Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 356, Central Bank of Chile.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & YaÃƒÂƒÃ‚Â±ez, Monica, 2006. "Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?," POLIS Working Papers 62, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & David Mayer-Foulkes, 2005. "The Effect of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(1), pages 173-222.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & David Mayer-Foulkes, 2004. "The Effects of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_021, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Howitt, Peter & Mayer-Foulkes, David & Aghion, Philippe, 2005. "The Effect of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence," Scholarly Articles 4481509, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & David Mayer-Foulkes, 2004. "The Effect of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 10358, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Naceur, Sami Ben & Omran, Mohammed, 2011. "The effects of bank regulations, competition, and financial reforms on banks' performance," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Dietrich, Andreas & Wanzenried, Gabrielle, 2014. "The determinants of commercial banking profitability in low-, middle-, and high-income countries," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 337-354.
- John A. Haslem, 1968. "A Statistical Analysis Of The Relative Profitability Of Commercial Banks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(1), pages 167-176, 03.
- Dietrich, Andreas & Wanzenried, Gabrielle, 2011. "Determinants of bank profitability before and during the crisis: Evidence from Switzerland," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 307-327, July.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Delis, Manthos & Staikouras, Christos, 2006. "Determinants Of Bank Profitability In The South Eastern European Region," MPRA Paper 10274, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Matthaios D. Delis & Christos K. Staikouras, 2006. "Determinants of Bank Profitability in the South Eastern European Region," Working Papers 47, Bank of Greece.
- Robert DeYoung & Tara Rice, 2004. "Noninterest Income and Financial Performance at U.S. Commercial Banks," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 101-127, 02.
- Bolt, Wilko & de Haan, Leo & Hoeberichts, Marco & van Oordt, Maarten R.C. & Swank, Job, 2012. "Bank profitability during recessions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2552-2564.
- Wilko Bolt & Leo de Haan & Marco Hoeberichts & Maarten van Oordt & Job Swank, 2010. "Bank Profitability during Recessions," DNB Working Papers 251, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Short, Brock K., 1979. "The relation between commercial bank profit rates and banking concentration in Canada, Western Europe, and Japan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 209-219, September.
- Park, Kang H. & Weber, William L., 2006. "Profitability of Korean banks: Test of market structure versus efficient structure," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 222-239.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Yang, Shih-Jui & Chang, Chi-Hung, 2014. "Non-interest income, profitability, and risk in banking industry: A cross-country analysis," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 48-67. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qua:journl:v:12:y:2015:i:1:p:97-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Ivett Portugal Padilla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.