The Yankee Effect in Minor League Baseball
The New York Yankees, as a visiting team, have been shown to have a positive and significant effect on attendance for their opponent (Paul et al., 2004). This paper explores the possibility of a "Yankees Effect" at the minor league level. Through a study of individual game attendance for the 2011 season, having the Yankees-affiliate as the visiting team was shown to have a positive and significant effect on attendance at the AAA-level (International League). The Yankees-affiliate was shown to have a positive, but statistically insignificant, effect on attendance at the AA-level (Eastern League). It appears the "Yankees Effect" occurs in the minor leagues for the players closest to playing at the major league level.
Volume (Year): 44 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://nysea.bizland.com/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2005. "Novelty Effects Of New Facilities On Attendance At Professional Sporting Events," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(3), pages 436-455, 07.
- Rodney J. Paul & Andrew P. Weinbach & Peter C. Melvin, 2004. "The Yankees Effect: The Impact of Interleague Play And The Unbalanced Schedule On Major League Baseball Attendance," New York Economic Review, New York State Economics Association (NYSEA), vol. 35(1), pages 3-15.
- Leo Kahane & Stephen Shmanske, 1997. "Team roster turnover and attendance in major league baseball," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(4), pages 425-431.
- Donald Richards & Robert Guell, 1998. "Baseball success and the structure of salaries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(5), pages 291-296.
- Michael R. Butler, 2002. "Interleague Play and Baseball Attendance," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 3(4), pages 320-334, November.
- Lorna Gifis & Paul Sommers, 2006. "Promotions and Attendance in Minor League Baseball," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 34(4), pages 513-514, December.
- Tyler Anthony & Tim Kahn & Briana Madison & Rodney Paul & Andrew Weinbach, 2014. "Similarities in fan preferences for minor-league baseball across the American Southeast," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 150-163, January.
- Rodney J. Paul & Kristin K. Paul & Michael Toma & Andrew Brennan, 2007. "Attendance in the NY-Penn Baseball League: Effects of Performance, Demographics, and Promotions," New York Economic Review, New York State Economics Association (NYSEA), vol. 38(1), pages 72-81.
- Whitney, James D, 1988. "Winning Games versus Winning Championships: The Economics of Fan Interest and Team Performance," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(4), pages 703-24, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nye:nyervw:v:44:y:2013:i:1:p:32-42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eryk Wdowiak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.