Income Inequality and Educational Attainment Rates: The New York Story
This paper examines the relationship between changes in income inequality and educational attainment rates in New York counties during the 1990s. The dependent variable is the change in the Gini coefficient over the decade. The independent variables include the Gini coefficient for 1990, educational attainment rates at the high school, bachelor's degree, and graduate/professional levels, the natural logarithm of population density in the county, real public educational expenditures in the county for several years preceding the 1990s, and an index of racial diversity in the county in 1990. Results of OLS regressions suggest that county population density, and educational attainment rates at the bachelor's and graduate degree levels are associated with increases in county income inequality over time. Alternatively, the initial level of income inequality and the high school attainment rate are associated with decreases in income inequality over time in New York counties.
Volume (Year): 39 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://sites.google.com/site/econnysea/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Weil, 2006.
"Accounting for the Effect of Health on Economic Growth,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c011_031, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- David N. Weil, 2005. "Accounting for the Effect of Health on Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 11455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David N. Weil, 2005. "Accounting for the Effect of Health on Economic Growth," Working Papers 2005-07, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Papanek, Gustav F. & Kyn, Oldrich, 1986. "The effect on income distribution of development, the growth rate and economic strategy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 55-65, September.
- Tinbergen, Jan, 1972. "The Impact of Education on Income Distribution," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 18(3), pages 255-65, September.
- Clarke, George R. G., 1992.
"More evidence on income distribution and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1064, The World Bank.
- Ram, Rati, 1984. "Population increase, economic growth, educational inequality, and income distribution : Some recent evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 419-428, April.
- Ahluwalia, Montek S., 1976. "Inequality, poverty and development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 307-342, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nye:nyervw:v:39:y:2008:i:1:p:28-43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eryk Wdowiak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.