The Influence Of Illiquid Assets On Prices
There are fundamental differences between assets held by closed and open-end funds. Past research indicates that closed-end funds are less liquid than open-end funds. For example, a larger percentage of closed-end funds hold less liquid international securities. This paper surveys the existing evidence of the impact of illiquid assets on the prices of open and closed-end funds. Specifically, it surveys existing literature on whether the price discount typically observed on closed-end funds is the expected result given the inescapable costs associated with managing relatively illiquid assets in closed-end funds. This paper synthesizes the various observations into one coherent theme: illiquid assets appear to be a significant source of the differences in the behavior we observe between open and closed-end funds. For a broader audience, this sheds light on valuation issues related to illiquid assets by looking at the case study of closed-end funds.
Volume (Year): 34 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://sites.google.com/site/econnysea/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chay, J. B. & Trzcinka, Charles A., 1999.
"Managerial performance and the cross-sectional pricing of closed-end funds,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 379-408, June.
- J.B. Chay & Charles Trzcinka, 1997. "Managerial Performance and the Cross-Sectional Pricing of Closed-End Funds," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-20, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Brauer, Greggory A., 1984. "`Open-ending' closed-end funds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 491-507, December.
- Kumar, Raman & Noronha, Gregory M, 1992. "A Re-examination of the Relationship between Closed-End Fund Discounts and Expenses," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 15(2), pages 139-147, Summer.
- Patro, Dilip Kumar, 2001. "Measuring performance of international closed-end funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1741-1767, September.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & Madura, Jeff, 2001. "Motivation and Performance of Seasoned Offerings by Closed-End Funds," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 36(3), pages 101-122, August.
- Porter, Gary E & Roenfeldt, Rodney L & Sicherman, Neil W, 1999. "The Value of Open Market Repurchases of Closed-End Fund Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(2), pages 257-276, April.
- Malhotra, D K & McLeod, Robert W, 2000. "Closed-End Fund Expenses and Investment Selection," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(1), pages 85-104, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nye:nyervw:v:34:y:2003:i:1:p:51-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eryk Wdowiak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.