Simplifying the Tax Code in New York State: The Case for Environmental Taxation and Revenue Substitution
In a policy of revenue substitution, the State of New York could increase tax system efficiency while improving environmental quality. Revenue from a state environmental tax on chemical emissions could be used to eliminate pre-existing taxes on business activity. This paper simulates policy implementation and concludes that, in addition to simplifying the state tax code, the revenue-neutral regulation could improve environmental quality, provide a market-based incentive for pollution abatement and maintain the size of the public sector.
Volume (Year): 33 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://sites.google.com/site/econnysea/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bosquet, Benoit, 2000. "Environmental tax reform: does it work? A survey of the empirical evidence," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 19-32, July.
- Parry, Ian & Bento, Antonio, 1999.
"Tax deductions, environmental policy, and the"double dividend"hypothesis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2119, The World Bank.
- Parry, Ian W. H. & Bento, Antonio M., 2000. "Tax Deductions, Environmental Policy, and the "Double Dividend" Hypothesis," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 67-96, January.
- Bosello, Francesco & Carraro, Carlo & Galeotti, Marzio, 1999.
"The Double Dividend Issue: Modelling Strategies and Empirical Findings,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2117, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bosello, Francesco & Carraro, Carlo & Galeotti, Marzio, 2001. "The double dividend issue: modeling strategies and empirical findings," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 9-45, February.
- Konar, Shameek & Cohen, Mark A., 1997. "Information As Regulation: The Effect of Community Right to Know Laws on Toxic Emissions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 109-124, January.
- Pearce, David W, 1991. "The Role of Carbon Taxes in Adjusting to Global Warming," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 938-48, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nye:nyervw:v:33:y:2002:i:1:p:17-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eryk Wdowiak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.